“They are not housing cattle, they are housing people” Rdng. response 4

I think the tile of this post encompasses the idea of gentrification accurately as well as people’s sentiments about it.

It’s awesome to see that so many organizations have come together for different purposes but all with the same goal—fight gentrification and the unfair displacement of numerous families that have been living in these areas for up to 36 years, as expressed by one of the interviewed tenants. When I say that many organizations have been formed for different purposes I mean, for instance, the Bushwick Housing Independent Project, mainly “aids tenants in their legal battles in housing court”, whereas the Crown Heights Tenant Union focuses mainly on the power of the masses and gathers people to have a “louder voice” when it comes to bringing to light “landlord harassment of tenants” and attempting to make a change!

Question: when some tenants of Bushwick and Crown Heights say that “they are beautifying the neighborhoods” and that they also want to be able to enjoy that (since they’ve been living there when it was dangerous to walk down the street), who is they? & What do they mean by that exactly? Couldn’t this be linked to gentrification to an extent?