Reading Response 9

I agree with Nicole, this week’s readings are perfectly timed. Beginning with Party of Wall Street Meets it’s Nemesis, the author holds a negative point of view and claimed that only the wealthy have power and control of politics. That was further proved in the other readings, especially in Patricia Cohen’s New York Times article when she stated that 80 wealthy people own more than 3.5 regular people do. This showed the severity of the issue. The New York Times article by Callahan, on the other hand, did not seem as important. I failed to see why investing into a park would have such a negative impact. After all, it is their money and they may invest it as they please. However, the last reading by Cindi Katz showed that there are far more important issues out there that are being ignored. Also, something as small as investing in a park can give the wealthy more control than imagined. This leads me to wonder is the only way to have a voice is to have a “collective power of bodies in a public space” which Party of Wall Street Meets it’s Nemesis suggests is the most effective instrument of opposition.

Is there really anything we can do to control how and where the wealthy invest their money?