A friend of mine asked me recently what would happen if the Memory Project were actually discovered. Surprisingly, even after all the years that I have spent looking for it, the question stumped me for quite a long time. When I first began to search for the Memory Project, it was a personal quest and anything I discovered was a personal victory; if I had somehow managed to find the Memory Project at twelve years old (the plot of several young adult novels), I would have jealously hoarded it for as long as possible.

I think, at their core, all those who pursue the Memory Project do so out of deeply personal reasons. There are those who see spiritual salvation in the Memory Project. There are those who are searching for the elusive past. There are those who are driven by a desire to simply know. The reasons are too many and too varied to list, and the potential effects of a discovery for each individual are too difficult to quantify. Don’t even get me started on the effects for our culture as a whole.

My friend, when she saw how puzzled I was by her question, asked me an even more alarming question: what happens if we don’t find what we were looking for in the Memory Project?

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind