Faryal’s Self-Portrait

Faryal starts out standing on the left side of the space, holding a folded paper and wearing a chastising frown. She looks down at the paper and scowls, then wags her finger at an invisible character in front of her. She unfolds the paper and inspects it, then shows it to the audience: “MUST FOLLOW TRADITION.”

Faryal crosses to the place where the invisible character was standing before, plants her feet, and dispassionately reads the paper. She relaxes her stance after a few seconds and seems to ponder the words in front of her. With a barely perceptible shake of the head, Faryal suddenly turns the paper and tears it in half, then tears it again, and again. With no hesitation, she lets the pieces fall to the floor; she looks slightly amused as they flutter at her ankles. Faryal steps back, turns away from the pieces with her hands on her hips, and then, in a humble gesture of celebration that makes everyone laugh indulgently, puts her firsts in the air and says softly: “Woohoo!”

Faryal shows us here that she has declared independence from tradition; in fact, she not only demonstrates it in her self-portrait, she shows it in her appearance. Jeans and a T-shirt, studded belt and hair pulled back, she does not look very traditional; she is a modern woman through and through.

3 thoughts on “Faryal’s Self-Portrait

1. I’m still working on it–I can’t find the video on my computer. I can only find it when I search from the post site, but it doesn’t upload that way. If worse comes to worst, can I bring this to you on Wednesday?