Snapshot Day- Through The Looking Glass

I entitled my photograph, “Through the Looking Glass”. October 11th, or Snapshot Day wasn’t a great day for me with the stress of my classes amounting and endless list of tasks augmenting. My sister and I were eating lunch together and I was half listening to everything she was saying since I was so frustrated and worried about all the things I had to get done. When I looked up and saw this view from the 7th Floor Bridge at Hunter College. The view was beautiful with the sun hitting parts of the buildings, creating shadow and depth to the city view. I had a feeling of tranquility and realization. The view reminded me that I was in the middle of in New York City and there are amazing opportunities, people, and experiences to be taken advantage of. Like Alice, when I look at this view I get transported into a new world (less literal for me) that comes with visions for my future and memories I wish to have in the city and that became my saving grace. I had to get through what I had to do in order to achieve my visions and cross through this looking glass.

The concepts of the rule of thirds, diagonals, and lighting played a crucial part in my photograph. I wanted to capture the view as I saw it with the light coming in, which represents my realization to the situation.  I didn’t want to just take a picture of the city but rather show my viewing of the city through this glass. I used the rule of thirds to emphasize the glass with the bottom of the glass being on the bottom horizontal line. The diagonals of the shadows show the passage of time and the depth and multitude of things that the city is composed of.

Even though my phone didn’t take a great quality picture, I will remember the thought behind the photo. Every time I’ll on sit on the 7th floor bridge, I will remember why I’m here and appreciate my surrounding and dream of what is behind this looking glass.