RoseAnne Spradlin ” Beginning of Something”

There is no such thing as a bad view at the New York Live Arts center where RoseAnne Spradlin showcased her choreography “Beginning of Something”. As soon as the audience members walk in, they are faced with a pretty peculiar sight. The room is dimly lit and surrounded by different mirrors. The stage is bare, except for one lone figure, a nude dancer sitting on the edge of the left side of the stage playing the guitar. For many, like me, this was a huge bewilderment, especially because it was the first contemporary dance piece I have ever seen.

As soon as the performance started, three more dancers came on stage, each with different garments. The guitar-playing dancer was covered with beads, while the other dancers were covered with fur, a thin cloth hanging at the waist and black undergarments. As the show progressed, these women began to rid themselves of their clothing. Their movements were powerful yet vulnerable. There were times when the women would be stomping and walking with confidence as if they were models on a runway, but there were also moments when these women would fall to the ground, shaking and expressing fear.

I believe that this dance is titled the “Beginning of Something”  because of the radicalness of the choreography. I believe that RoseAnne Spradlin is the”beginning” of “something” new in dance. Her choreography is something new that broadens the term “dance”. I believe she wanted to show the different sides to human nature as well in this piece. All humans have a confident side, as well as a vulnerable one.  These women went through a collection of emotions in the one hour time period they performed. There were times when they were confident with their bodies, while there were other times when they were self-conscience. RoseAnne Spradlin’s piece was very unconventional and is the “beginning of something” new in the dance community.