Dance Analysis of John Jasperse’s rehearsal

Dance is an intimate glimpse into the psyche of choreographers and dancers; dance rehearsals are even more revealing. John Jasperse’s rehearsal revealed the backbone of his dance performances by illustrating the thought processes that materialize into dance, and the meticulous and time-consuming work that goes into the creation and perfection of dance pieces.

John Jasperse’s rehearsal consisted of a working session between him and two dancers. Jasperse at one point following the rehearsal referred to himself as being “didactic”. This was apparent in his meticulous corrections of the dancers, from the angle of their limbs to the pace of one dancer in relation to the other. This conveyed the importance of accuracy in dance. It suggests that dance is an art form. There is specificity, and each facet of it is very much intentional. Thus, this focus on the aesthetics of dance conveys to the audience the power of the visual significance of dance. Each element of the dance is meant to be appreciated. While the viewer is prone to have his or her own personal view of the piece, it is not to say that the dance itself is not presented without a message.

Jasperse was open to having an open dialogue with the dancers about the philosophy behind the dance. One of the dancers questioned a certain dance movement, conveying his disconnect to the idea of the piece. He felt that it did not align with the message they were trying to send. While we as the audience were not aware of what exactly the message was, we at least became aware that it was an integral part of the dance. What resulted was a slight change in the movement, and a much more confidant dancer. This revealed two things. Firstly, because dancers are the presenters of dance performances, they must be emotionally behind the piece. Secondly, that dance is a continually evolving work that parallels the changing mind of its creators and executioners. This further relates dance to art in that it is a projection of an individuals (or individuals’) thoughts and ideas into an accessible form.

From Jasperse’s rehearsal, we were able to see how this art form can be created and refined. The technicalities proved to be essential in the execution of the piece, while the message behind the piece served as the foundation for both the decisions in choreography and possible adjustments to make.

-Prima (Blog B)

This entry was posted in Blog A | Blog B. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dance Analysis of John Jasperse’s rehearsal

1. kyleleighton says:

I completely agree with Prima’s analysis of John Jasperse’s rehearsal. I had my interview today with my assigned dancer (Levi Gonzalez), and during the interview he talked about the repetition and devotion dance entails. He talked about how it felt wonderful to accomplish beauty in the way of expressing oneself through their body. I believe Jasperse would agree. I talked to Mr. Gonzalez in particular about seeing Jasperse’s rehearsal on Thursday and he told me how Jasperse is so particular and “almost obsessive compulsive” about his work. I found that to be a very accurate description, having seen Jasperse’s mannerisms, his starting and stopping of the music just to say that a head was tilted slightly too far, and his desire to repeat the same one to two minute piece over and over again until he found it to be just right. He didn’t strike me as the type of choreographer that would settle for “close enough.”

I found the rehearsal to be eye opening. I have always had a respect for the visual arts, and I have always known that it took a lot of effort to create a meaningful dance, but never did I think that it required THAT much effort. Jasperse picked up on the tiniest details that he didn’t like, but details that the audience (even if filled with other experienced dancers) most likely wouldn’t notice. He is a perfectionist, and I admire that about him.

Prima commented a dancer “must be emotionally behind the piece.” I couldn’t agree more. His two dancers — while at times frustrated — moved swiftly and beautifully. It’s difficult to execute beauty when you’re not emotionally connected to what you are trying to achieve. We always hear adults say to us (especially as college students) that “we will be good at whatever we enjoy doing.” This applies to dance as much as it applies to pre-med or economics students (and so on).

It was very special that we were able to see this rehearsal. I would have never known the effort that went into creating a piece. And with Jasperse being a respected choreographer, it was even more impressive and meaningful. It made me appreciate the work ethic dancers and choreographers have. It’s a tough living, but they clearly love it.

2. kyleleighton says:

My apologies. I forgot to add “Kyle — Blog B.”