“Disabled Theater” at Theater Hora

Jerome Bel’s “Disabled Theater” provided an outlet for both the performers and those in the audience to either release their inner personalities or remove the barrier that society created that stands between us and the disabled. The performance was freeing and entertaining. It was a treat for both the actors and the audience to get to spend an hour and half together to learn about the performers and to see the solos that each one prepared.

During the beginning of the performance, I thought that it would have a more serious and sullen mood because of the mellow tone that the translator spoke in. She spoke very calmly and steadily and referred to each performer very slowly when she told them what part of the performance was going to be next. That impression was soon proved wrong however when the performers showcased their solos one by one. Each 3-5 minute piece was short but sweet. This theater piece suited our class agenda perfectly because since we all have the upcoming final presentation, we were all able to learn from the performers on how to encapsulate a small amount of ideas into one performance rather than bombard the audience with a million different ones. Although our presentations obviously hold different subjects of interests, it was still helpful to see how a short dance can capture a part of what the performer wants to express but at the same time, not have the dance be “all over the place”.

In all honesty, I thought that the separation of the dance solos (first, the best seven, and then the originally rejected three) was unnecessary and unfair. I understood that in the end, all ten dances were shown, so no one was excluded; however, I felt like the additional division between the performances provided a possible barrier and division along the performers themselves, which was absolutely pointless. “Disabled Theater” had, as Prima wrote, a similar structure as “Véronique Doisneau” because it showed the contrast between the “better” dancers and those that were outcast into the background. I remember one of the last three performers had played an instrument during one of the first seven performances. Even though she took part in the earlier performances, there still obviously hung a sense of departure between the worse three and the rest of the group during the time when the audience thought that they would not be performing. In a sense, it was relieving to see that Bel didn’t exclude them in the end and allowed them to perform too.

I think that the most touching but heart-wrenching part of the performance was when the performers spoke about their feelings on the piece. One said that, “I get to be no one else but myself.” Another said, “My sister cried because she said we were like a freak show at the circus.” Obviously, Jerome Bel’s piece comes off as extremely controversial in terms of the responsibility he takes on now with the performers and the messages that comes with the performance. I have to say that although I do not agree with his most probable attitude of just moving on to the next piece after the showing of “Disabled Theater” is over and leaving the performers behind, I do think that his decision to attack this controversial idea and to make this piece was extremely brave and respected. Given the societal boundaries that are present between the different “groups” present in our lives, Jerome Bel not only knocked those boundaries down in this performance but also allowed the audience to gain insight on what it means to be free and to truly be comfortable.The camaraderie present between the ten performers was also so sweet – the way they sang and danced in the background as the solos went on showed how supportive they were of one another and how genuinely happy and excited they were to perform together.

I loved the performance not because we were able to see disabled people perform. I loved the performance so much because we were able to see performers act out their own selves and incorporate music and movements they loved into their performance to make the final piece truly personal and enjoyable.

-Winnie Yu (Blog A)

This entry was posted in Blog A | Blog B. Bookmark the permalink.