Jerome Bell and Theater Hora: Disabled Theater

Walking into the theatre, I had no idea what to expect. Sitting so close to the stage, I was able to see 10 chairs arranged in a neat semi-circle with an untouched bottle of water next to each. I had read nothing about this piece prior to coming to the theater because I was very excited about the performance and was excited to see the product of the collaboration between Jerome Bell and Theater Hora. The first thing I distinctly remember was the calm, neutral tone of the translator and sound manager, Simone Truong. After hearing her speak, I assumed the performance would be a somber one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Disabled Theater was short enough to keep the audience riveted to the stage, but long enough to paint a picture about the situations of the actors and for the audience to see a piece of the actors as people.

The first thing the actors did was come out on stage one by one and stand still for one minute. The actors put themselves in a spotlight, allowing the audience to every one of their idiosyncrasies, from their gait to their expression to their clothes. Living in a society where it is impolite, even politically incorrect to stare at the disabled for too long. People tend to simply ignore them, acting as if they are not there. By asking the actors to stand in front of the audience and forcing us to stare at them, Bell tries to show us that it is in fact okay to look. Disabled people are humans as well; there is no need to treat them as caged animals and walk on eggshells around them because all they want is to be treated the same – they do not want our pity. After each of the actors stood onstage, they came on one-by-one again and stated their name, age and profession. The actors all ranged in age from late 20’s to early 40s, even though many of them did not look their age. Looking at all of them finally sitting in their seats, I was overcome with the sense of how little direction Bell had given the actors. Even if all their movements were choreographed, it all looked so nature. Some sat, feet jiggling on the floor. Others fidgeted, and others mumbled to themselves. The actors were not restraining their own character when they were on stage; in fact it seemed even stronger, and more intense.

The main part of the performance was the solo dance pieces by the actors. Bell originally chooses 7 of the pieces, but we later see that all of them are performed. This simple decision itself was possibly a statement on the idea of exclusion and how disabled people should not be separated from others. The solo dance pieces were all unique and separate from one another. While I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, my favorite ones were the dances set to the Michael Jackson song and the Gummy Bear song. All of them, however, clearly showed the actors personalities and character. We were able to understand things about them that would not have come up in conversation. The fact that their dances helped the actors open up to the audience really shocked me, and made me look at the dance piece’s we’re doing in class in a whole different light. We are showcasing a part of ourselves to others that cannot be done through any other medium; dance is something that comes from the soul and should be taken to the heart.

My favorite part of the performance, which was also the most touching, was when the actors discussed their own feelings on the piece. Many of them gave single word answers, but one of the actors talked about how his family didn’t like it, and how his sister cried when going home because it was like looking at “freaks at a circus”. I understand they must be feeling angry and confused, hoping everything Jerome Bell did was not simply for the sake of the performance. I feel that Bell did well in tackling such an important yet rarely discussed issue. He was able to show us that people treat the disabled differently because of fear of the unknown – they simply do not know how to treat them. However, this entire performance showed us that there is no wrong in treating them as our equals; in fact, it is what should be done. All of the performers talked about how they enjoyed being in the piece, and for that I am glad. While I do not believe that Jerome Bell has any personal responsibility to the actors in Theater Hora, I assume that he will continue to voice his own opinions on the treatment of the disabled through other performances and mediums. The only way this piece would be seen as an exploitation of the actors is if the piece was made for the sake of being performed. If the audience and Bell was at all changed by his work and looks at the situation in a different light, then I feel as if it has done some good to the world.

Malavika (B)

This entry was posted in Blog A | Blog B. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Jerome Bell and Theater Hora: Disabled Theater

1. Jonathan Parecki says:

Salient points there, Malavika!