Go Brooklyn!!

Hi everyone! This past Sunday, I went to visit various studios situated in the Flatbush neighborhood and I’ve got to say that I was REALLY impressed by the artwork that I saw.

Ifirst visited Ernesto Pavone and Chieko Inayama’s joint studio. While Pavone primarily workedwith head sculptures and photo collages his wife Inayama utilized abstract expressionist ideas of space and subject matter. Between the two, I was particularly interested in Inayama’s works because she used a lot of Judeo-Christian imagery in her works  (which made some of her pieces stand out in my mind).

Mitch Patrick, another artist who I visited, used ASCII code to create custom code images, drawings, and digital prints. His works were definitely unlike anything that I have ever seen. I thought that it was really cool that he employed ASCII code to create art that were inspired by random things like “bunch[es] of appropriated images from Tumblr” or “shipping palettes.” Prior to my visit to Patrick’s studio, I did not fully realize how artists draw inspiration from literally, everything.

In the end, my favorite artist was Cecilia Whittaker-Doe. I loved her artwork because she incorporated silk screens and mixed media to depict imagined landscapes. Everything in the studio was nature-oriented and gazing at her artwork gave me a sense of peace and happiness.

1 Amanda Licastro { 09.20.12 at 6:05 pm }

I am really interested in hearing more about Mitch Patrick’s ASCII inspired art. How was the code itself represented in the art? In what medium were these pieces rendered? What drew you to investigate these particular installations, and did it lead you to further research of this artist specifically or the world or digital/electronic art? If you are interested in thinking more about the world of electronic art, check out the work of Michael Mandiberg: http://www.mandiberg.com/

2 sahsanud { 09.27.12 at 1:31 am }

Hi Amanda!
I hope you’re doing well. Yes, I also found Mitch Patrick’s artwork really interesting. The code was interspersed throughout each piece–he created images using numbers, letters, and other punctuation marks. At one point, he even introduced me to some software he was using (I think it was called GitHub) to create his own symbols and codes. In response to your second and third questions, I looked at his profile on the GOBrooklyn website and I saw other artists who also used digital text as art. I also read some articles about ASCII art and I was intrigued by what I found: another article that linked to “static text images of narwhals!”

3 sahsanud { 09.27.12 at 1:31 am }