Art in History and Nature

Hi everyone!

I have lived in Rye, New York my entire life–except now, of course, I am currently in Brooklyn. It is a rather small, unknown town, but one with historical significance nonetheless! It is the location of the Jay Property, for instance, which is the childhood home of John Jay, our nation’s first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

The historic 23 acre park is all that remains of the original 400 acre family estate, the centerpiece of which is an 1838 Greek Revival mansion (above). It was built by his son, Peter Augustus Jay, and is, in my opinion, more than just an old building. The architectural detail of the large Corinthian columns make them a work of art in and of themselves.

The property also has a beautiful view of the Long Island Sound and is located next to the Marshlands Conservancy- an example of what I consider to be art in nature. With public trails, the marshlands are a beautiful  place for nature walks and daytime jogs. Thus, it has become a popular and rather iconic spot in Rye, which is why I chose to share it with all of you 🙂

1 Patrick Lempert { 09.28.12 at 2:11 am }

That’s so cool! My dad went to John Jay College but I never knew he (J.J.) lived in Rye or was 1st Chief Justice.

There are some trails in Prospect Park, check this: http://tinyurl.com/3hgqyvk

If you want to go crazy, Old Croton Trail and the Long Path are right outside NYC borders. Cheers!

2 sahsanud { 09.28.12 at 3:03 am }

The “Corinthian columns” are very nice–just more evidence for Greek/Roman inspired art in the form of architecture!

3 Joey Marino { 02.01.16 at 8:28 pm }

Just so you know, the columns on the front portico of the Jay mansion are not in the Corinthian order. They are in the very obscure Tower of the Winds order, which is very easy to mistake for the Corinthian because it is very similar.