ICP trip photo reflection.

Hey guys, so I tried to find the pictures that I was going to talk about right now to make it easier but i was only successful in finding one of them. So the first picture that I found and that struck my curiosity was a picture by Tim Jarvis titled, Anglican Priests at graveside of Craddock, Eastern Cape, 1985. This lengthy title does the liberty of giving some of the details of what I saw in the pictures. So, It was a close up of Anglican Priests, all of which had their fists raised up. Behind them was a crowd of people, most of them regular except for this one irregular white woman in the back. “What was this white woman doing?” I asked myself. What place did she have at this graveside, and was she there to mourn or was she there to show support. She didn’t seem to have a mournful face but she seemed rather joyful. It was weird. And i couldn’t exactly wrap my finger around it.

This next picture, I saw as I was leaving the picture of the Anglican Priests. It is by a photographer by the name of Gille de Vlieg and is titled, Pauline Moloise, two women and Winnie Madikizela Mandela mourn at the memorial service for Benjamin Moloise , who was hanged earlier that morning, Khotoso house, Johannesburg, 1985. Here I saw a row of ladies in the front mourning over this man with a row of men in the back also holding up the same fist that I saw in the first picture that i came across. I started to think about this symbol of the fist. What did it mean? What was it a symbol of? Why a fist raised up? Fists usually symbolize aggression, but how did that tie in? Questions, Questions, Questions.

Finally, the last picture that i saw was another Tim Jarvis picture entitled, UOF meeting, Claremont, Cape Town, 1985. It showed a white woman on a podium also holding up her fist like the men in the photo above. This just added even more to the curiosity behind the fists!

1 comment

1 Amanda { 10.11.12 at 5:08 am }

Fady, I think it is interesting that your interest was peaked by the several different photographs by the same artist. What about the photography by Jarvis captured your attention? Why did they stand out amongst the many on display at ICP? Can you perhaps say something about the composition of their photographs that drew your eye? How were the people and object situated in the frame? How did this placement manipulate your gaze? Why do you think the work of this artist was chosen to represent this atrocity in this museum?