The Art of Dunking

For our assignment, we had to print a picture of the body. My printer did not have ink, so I decided to upload the pictures instead. As you can tell, these are pictures of people dunking. I believe the elegance (in Jordan’s dunk) and the power (in LeBron’s dunk) conveyed by their bodies make these a work of art. It can also be considered artistic how they show the limits of the human body by doing these athletic dunks. In one case, a commentator likened a dunk to the act of flying.

1 Maheen Athonu { 11.09.12 at 4:31 am }

Yeah I agree with you, especially with the first picture. The way in which Jordan contorts his body to perform the dunk can be considered a form of beauty.

2 Daniel Bibawy { 11.19.12 at 2:45 pm }

As a big basketball fan, I definitely agree that dunking is an art form. As we discussed during class, our definition of art being “something difficult done well” applies to this skill. Few people can dunk a basketball to begin with, let alone with the skill and prowess that these two (Michael Jordan and LeBron James) do.

3 Sauly Betesh { 11.22.12 at 3:46 am }

If any man can fly, it’s Jordan. The photographer did a great job with portraying that. The floor, I think, was purposely not included in the picture. It emphasizes how high in the air Jordan is… (above four feet maybe?)

4 Jia Jian Li { 11.26.12 at 1:09 am }

I think the photograph of Jordan was him flying from the free throw line to win the Slam Dunk contest. The audience is really small in that photograph which helps us know how high is really is.