Christmas vs Hanukkah and the debate in class

I found the Christmas vs Hanukkah debate to be not really a debate. They were not arguing against each other and just stating facts. I did not really find it funny. But I can’t blame them because it was difficult to make the topic amusing. I laughed the most when the Jewish side made fun of how concerned with money Jewish people are and how all the Jews are living in Uptown. I found the lady in the Hanukkah said to be very boring because she was really concerned with winning the debate instead of making the audience laugh. Winning the debate and comedy does not really  hand in hand. I thought the Hanukkah side won because they made me laugh the most, especially the first guy. The Q and A section was really awkward and I felt like whoever was brave enough to ask a question was made fun of. There were a lot of sexual references and insults to the audience. One of the best answers to the questions was from the Christmas side, “I feel awkward telling my black friend I take the N train.” Overall, it was not as funny as I wanted to be but I learned a lot about Christmas and Hanukkah. I had a great time.

The debate in class, apples vs oranges, made me realize how hard it was to win. There is always a negative side to the topic you are supporting. Jake was a good debater because his argument was clear, he did not stutter, and his voice was powerful. Hand gestures were used frequently in our debate and I thought that added more power to our speech.