Mini-Reflection on Hanukkah vs. Christmas Comedy Show!

Hi everyone,

I somewhat enjoyed the Hanukkah vs. Christmas comedy show. I’m not particularly accustomed to using or hearing profanity, so I must say that the comedians’ frequent use of the f-word came as a bit of shock! Seriously, I really shouldn’t have been surprised though because I kind of knew that generally, in order to appeal to mass audiences, crude humor is usually the way to go…besides that, I thought that the overall quality of the show was really good. I enjoyed the creative use of Powerpoint presentations to back up each side’s claim and I thoroughly enjoyed the side remarks made by each side; they were quick, witty, and resourceful and in my opinion, were probably the best part of the entire show. The act was also very open and flexible; I liked the fact that there wasn’t a specific script that the actors needed to follow when performing and that the actors embraced interaction with the audience ( the vacuum guy was hilarious precisely because of his interaction with the front row, where I was seated).  The atmosphere of the comedy show was also really relaxed and fun; every comedian had notes with them as they got up to set up their argument against the other side, but you could tell that they were all, for the most part, very relaxed and comfortable with what they were going to present. In my opinion, the third guy on the Hanukkah side was the funniest because his tone of speech was drawling, bored, and yet so sarcastic and witty. He had so many quick jabs up his sleeve. That guy offered so many rebuttals and every time he spoke, I wasn’t quite sure of what to expect from him. The older lady on the Hanukkah side was, like I said in class, a bit intimidating, but I found her sense of humor also very entertaining because she used historical facts to back up her claim that Hanukkah is better than Christmas. Her argument was a bit satirical and I think it would generally go under the heading of “nerdy humor.” I didn’t understand a few of her references, but I got the gist of what she was trying to say.

I hope this mini-reflection gave you all a sense of what I thought of the show. Feel free to share your own thoughts!

Sofia