The Uptown Showdown: Hanukkah Vs. Christmas

Coming into this debate, my Jewish background and upbringing was knocking on the inside of my head, saying “You better decide the right winner, Jake. Don’t mess this one up.” Ultimately, I think I would have to choose Christmas as the winner, but Hannukah was an extremely close second.

Michael Showalter, Craig Baldo, and Albertina Brooks made up the competitors for the Christmas side. They are all extremely talented comedians who have either had their own shows, sitcoms, or stand-up performances. As they began to compete for the audience vote, Craig Baldo brought out the Christmas Smell Machine, which produced christmas smells for the audience. This was a crowd pleaser, and he did very well. The rest of the Christmas team also did very well, with their arguments that Christmas gifts are better, the spirit is more jolly, and its a lot more fun to be celebrating Christmas.

The Hannukah team, made up of famed comedienne Jackie Hoffman, Seth Herzog, and some guy who was clearly not Jewish, fought hard and won on many points. They had more days in which to celebrate, and they didn’t have to deal with that Jesus guy.

Personally, I don’t have a crude threshold. I think as long as the audience is old enough and mature enough to experience that kind of humor, then lay it on. Some people may argue that the humor used in this debate was crude, inappropriate, or rude. I say lay it on. If it makes you uncomfortable or upset, then leave. We have the power to make changes in the media we allow to enter our lives. Change the channel. Change your seat. Your complaints will not stop the F-bombs and dirty phrases coming from the performers on stage. Maybe it is a sign of their inability to make people laugh without the crude. That’s an interesting concept. But overall, let them perform. It’s you who has the power.

And finally, unfortunately for the little Jewish man in my head, Christmas won.