Brooklyn Museum

I am not very interested in art museums, so when I found out that we were going to the Brooklyn Museum I wasn’t really that excited. I knew what I was expected to do- look at a painting or sculptor and talk about it for five minutes. All I could think was  ” Five minutes?! I’ll be lucky if I could talk about it for two minutes!” It seemed like an impossible thought to me.

However, when we split into our groups I chose to work with two of my friends from high school- one that goes to Brooklyn and one to City college. I’ve always shared hilarious moments with these two girls so I thought that this museum idea might actually be fun. We went in search of our first piece to talk about and found a carpet. We talked for about 3 minutes until the guard kicked us out and made us delete the recording because we weren’t supposed to be in there. I was a little upset, not because now I had to go and look for more pieces to talk about, but because I really liked the ideas we came up with about the carpet’s design.

While describing the three pieces of art we chose to talk about, I realized that everyone looks at art differently. No one person has the same opinion on what the artist drew. I actually had fun looking at all the art work in the museum and trying to understand the meaning of the works. Even though I didn’t think I would enjoy the museum that much, it ended up being really interesting and I liked looking at art in a new way.

1 comment

1 Fatema Arafa { 09.11.13 at 9:27 pm }

I totally know what you mean. At first, I was so worried I would just be the only person standing, wondering “what am I supposed to do again?”, but once I got into my group it was a totally different experience. I actually didn’t want to leave as quick as I thought and the time passed by as quickly as the recordings were smooth. Overall, great day. Great Post!