A New Way of Experiencing Art

I wasn’t sure what to expect of our night at the Brooklyn Museum. Visiting museums is something that I usually experience on a personal level, not a social one. I go with my grandmother, and as soon as we get there we each go our own separate ways and meet up at the end. Being bound to walking around a museum with three other people was intriguing enough, but the fact that we had to discuss each piece of art we selected for five minutes apiece was entirely a new concept for me.

At first, I found the assignment awkward and uncomfortable. My group had a difficult time choosing two pieces of art, and once we agreed on our selections we realized that we didn’t have much to say. On our first attempt we only used a minute and a half of recording time! However, after a while we all noticed that we were overanalyzing the situation. After all, art is art! It’s supposed to be something that elicits emotion and is interpreted on an intuitive level. We loosened up and just started talking about the art we saw instead of thinking about what we were going to say ahead of time, and I ended up having a blast! Hearing other people’s feedback happened to be extremely interesting. I learned that everyone truly does see things in a different light. Overall, I’m glad I had the opportunity to experience art in a whole new way.