Jazz

image imageWaiting outside for the jazz concert to begin I was excited for the unknown. I’ve never really listened to jazz music and it didn’t have any significance in my life.

When the performance started I liked the upbeat music. It was catchy and I found myself bobbing my head along to the tune. However, as the performance went on, I realized it was taking a slow, downbeat turn. The tunes were very mellow – like something I would listen to to put me to sleep. It was very soothing to listen to.
Before listening to the jazz music, if you asked me to describe jazz in one word I would say saxophone. So naturally I expected to be hearing a lot of the sax. But that wasn’t the case. Most of the time it was only the piano, base and drums playing. That was a little surprising to me, but when the saxophone started up, the music became very upbeat.
The musicians looked like they were so into the music, moving their bodies and tapping their feet along to the beat.
The drummer was amazing. I was in awe at the things he was doing.
Although jazz may not be my type of music, it was really an experience that I probably would have never had if not for the Macaulay program. Overall, I really enjoyed the night.