The Opera

I never thought I would enjoy going to a four hour opera. When i received professor Ugoretz’s email about the opera I was anything but excited. How could someone sit though a four hour play- nonetheless an opera.

When we got there, I realized that A Midsummer’s Night Dream would actually be done in English. Most people who have previously been to operas were upset about that, but I was very happy that at least I’d somewhat understand what was going on.

I really enjoyed A Midsummer’s Night Dream. The scenery, the costumes, the people’s voices- were all amazing. I was very amazed at the scenery and kept wondering how it worked. I was surprised to see that the fairies were so young, I thought most people in the opera were older, but I was clearly mistaken. It shocked me when those little boys entered the stage, especially when I heard their voices and how amazing they were.

While I wouldn’t go to the opera on my own, this was a great experience for me. It may not be a “real’ opera, because it wasn’t in Latin, but for me this was better. I wasn’t really a fan of the very long breaks which made it seem longer than it should have been. But all in all, I did enjoy my first opera experience, and maybe I will even convince my family, who have never been to the opera, to go to an opera. I’m sure they would like it just as much as I did!