9-11 Memorial

This was my first time to the memorial and I had no idea what to expect. After a lot of walking to find the entrance and security checks I was allowed to walk in. I was blown away by how something so simple had such a powerful effect on me. The two waterfalls were located on the site of the original buildings. I thought that was very cool because it means that the buildings can never be replaced. Walking around both panels, I ran my hand against all the names and couldn’t believe that all these people died here. I always knew that it was a horrible event but I never really grasped the true horror of the day until I visited the memorial. I saw people standing there and crying while touching the name of a loved one…or just being there made them cry. The simplicity of the memorial is what blew me away. Something so simple, yet so powerful.

The sound of the waterfall can be heard any way you turn…like the sound of the people dying can always be heard. I really like the architecture behind the memorial. At first the water is just sitting there, like the people sitting in the plane or in their office. Then, out of no where the water falls in rushing speed like the planes hitting the towers and then it calms down again after the water hits the floor. Like Kwan said before, no matter what angel you looked at the black hole, you can’t see where it goes. It’s almost like you’re not supposed to know where the souls or people go after the destruction happened.

After the 9/11 memorial, the Vietnam memorial wasn’t as great for me. It was more personal than the other one, with personal letters from the soldiers. Personally, I believe it was less of an impact because I wasn’t alive for that, it didn’t happen during my time. I also feel like the 9/11 memorial will be like that for kids in the future generation in like 50-60 years. Of all the Macaulay trips we’ve had, this has been the best.