The Phantom of the Opera

I read “The Phantom of the Opera,” by Gaston Leroux, prior to attending the Broadway show, simply because I have a habit of reading a play, novel, or script prior to attending a performance or a movie, in some cases. I watched the movie a few days after the show, and only because my friend asked me what I did that weekend, I replied that I had seen the Phantom of the Opera, and she questioned, “the movie or the Broadway show?”

However, neither the novel or nor the movie compared to the Broadway show in the Majestic Theatre. There’s a reason that the Phantom of the Opera is the longest-running show in Broadway history (besides that of the very long, around-the-block lines). 🙂 Usually, I enjoy the novel more than the corresponding production, and, although the novel was very enjoyable to read, I have a special place in my heart for music and musicals such as this show.

Admittedly, I did wonder how the infamous crashing of the chandelier would be staged, and I was very happy that I wasn’t sitting in the Orchestra section of the theatre…

Furthermore, I wondered how the boat scene would be staged, considering the fact that the stage was a dry surface without water, and I found the boat effects, as well as the effects that had been designed for the stairs, to be impressively realistic.

The scenery and costumes were impeccably produced. The singing was beautiful, the acting was amazing, and the instrumental accompaniment was graceful and phenomenal. While the Phantom of the Opera was the angel of music, the actress that played Christine had the voice of an angel. The music was so amazing that I had chills throughout the whole production. I was completely mesmerized and immersed in the show and the plot line, so much so that when the show was over and the curtain closed, I didn’t want to leave. I will definitely enjoy viewing the Phantom of the Opera a few more times in my lifetime because I think it is a timeless production of art.