Natural History Museum

Every Sunday for the past few months,  I took some friends of mine from Israel t go see amazing tourist sites in the city. Two Sundays ago, I took them to the Natural History Museum. Now, I know I might get a lot of angry comments if I say, but I have never in life been to the Natural History Museum, so this would be an amazing trip for me as well. Now, being that there was a marathon going on near the museum, it was slightly difficult to get it and we ended up getting to the museum pretty late and we couldn’t go through all the art pieces and natural artifacts that there was. However, we did get to see the North American mammals exhibit, the sea life exhibit and the Dinosaur exhibit. These exhibits were amazing and breath- taking!!!

The North  American mammals looked as though they were real animals who were ready to pounce on you if the glass was not in the way. Also, I didn’t just realized these fake mammals were art, but the setting and the background in each show glass was also art. For example, in the glass of the Cougar Mountain Lion, the mammal was standing majestically on a fake rock overlooking the Grand Canyon. The painting in the background had so much depth and color, that it really looked like the Grand Canyon! It was all just amazing.

In the aquarium-like exhibit, the first thing that crossed my eye was the MASSIVE MASSIVE whale that is hooked to the ceiling of the big hall. The 94 foot long Blue Whale was a huge piece of art in this exhibit. The reason why they place the blue whale in the center of the room overlooking the tourists is because it’s supposed to remind us that this whale is going extinct and we have to keep our responsibilities towards the environment in order to keep a comfortable habitat for the whale to live in. This is an example interpretive art.

The last exhibit we went to was the Dinosaur exhibit, which took up the whole 4th floor. The floor was full of artifacts, bones and…more bones. That exhibit taught me a lot about dinosaurs and their evolution. I learnt that most dinosaur were herbivores and that the Tyrannosaurus Rex did NOT have puny arms.

All in all, the trip was a great experience and I really really hope to go again and see the whole museum!