Kinsale & Rock of Cashel

Kinsale is the coolest town/city that we’ve been to so far. It was a super cute little sea side town. It really reminded me of Gloucester, only much older. We walked for an hour along the harbor until we got to Charles Fort. This was a five pointed fort, defended by the British until the 1920s. Most of the buildings were really old, and falling down, and some of them were completely filled with trees and brush.  I don’t really know how to describe it at all. I just really really liked it. I went with a really small group which was really nice. I went with my friend Kristin and Spencer. We got back to the bus stop really early, and sat in the freezing cold for almost two hours. All three of us totally passes out on the bus ride back. For lunch we stopped at a pub. I got fish chowder. I forgot to take a picture of it. Spencer and Kristin got burgers. It was really tasty. I want to go back. There was a path called “Breakheart Hill” which looked like a very steep uphill, but very nice walk.

Off the harbor and the fort in the background
Me in the dungeon. I've always wanted to do this, and I'm making that face! Oh well...
View from the fort
Fort. Look at those clouds!!

Saturday we went to the Rock of Cashel with friend Kristen from Iowa and her roommates, who are mostly from Loyola in Maryland. There are about 30 people here from Loyola Maryland, and another 30 from a school in Minnesota. It’s hard to make friends with these people because they all just stick with each other. It was nice of them to invite us on this day trip, and some definitely tried harder than others to be friends with Corrie and myself. But they all definitely have their set group of friends. It was another absolutely gorgeous day! I tried to take pictures of the clouds and landscape, but its so hard taking pictures of big places. There were two main buildings that we went to see. First was the Rock of Cashel, which in fact is no rock at all. It was the castle where St. Patrick baptize one of the first Irish kings (he was one of the first Irish kings to convert to Christianity). Good ol’ Patrick jabbed his staff into the poor kings foot. The man didn’t say anything  because he thought the pain was part of the ceremony. At some point it was raided by the Normans, and later was given into the hands of the Irish church and became a monastery.

Rock of Cashel, The wall fell down
Corrie stuck under the rock

Wall Paintings

Heads
Doorframe?
Detail on doorframe
Graveyard
Stone wall, rolling hills, rolling clouds. This is definately not AmericaStone wall, rolling hills, rolling clouds
Hore's Abbey
This one's for mom- steak sandwich