Miss your old point-and-click PC games? Play ’em on your Mac with ScummVM!

When I was much younger, my dad always bought me all sorts of really fun point-and-click adventure games. Most of them were made by a company called Humongous Entertainment. Some of their most famous series were Putt Putt, Pajama Sam, Freddi Fish, and my personal favorite, Spy Fox. I still have all of my old CD-ROMs, but the only problem is that they don’t play on my MacBook with OS X Lion. The “Classic Environment” (which allowed users to run old Mac applications and software) is no longer supported on new Apple products, however after months of searching, I’ve finally found a program that will allow you to play your old adventure games on modern day Macs. It’s called ScummVM.

Now I know what you’re thinking. “That’s a dirty name for an application!” But no, Scumm actually stands for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion, a scripting language originally developed by LucasArts for creating graphics adventures (The Secret of Monkey Island is a prime example). The VM means Virtual Machine, and this free app basically converts the data files from these old games into modern day Mac-compatible files, allowing you to play them when you want.

The only catch is that you need the files. If you have the CDs, you’re set, but if you don’t, you’ll have to find the files for the games you want some other way. I’m not a fan of torrenting files in any way, nor do I wish to promote it (mainly because it’s often times dangerous for your computer and illegal), but I know their are many people out there who would just try to find the files that way. However you obtain the files, you have to copy certain ones onto your computer. There’s a full list of compatible games and the corresponding files need to play each game available here.

Although Humongous Entertainment was purchased by Atari, you can still play all your old HE games thanks to ScummVM!

After downloading the program from the home site, all you have to do is go to “Add Game” and then select the folder where you put the game’s files. ScummVM takes care of the rest, and in no time you’ll be having flashbacks to a simpler time when your biggest concern was stopping The Poodle Menace from destroying the ozone layer with her hair spray (Spy Fox 3: Operation Ozone reference).

One other really cool thing about ScummVM is that it saves the games you’ve imported into the program on a list, so you don’t have to keep searching for data files whenever you want to boot up a game. This is a great resource to have if you’re looking to play your old games, and it’s also a great way to get rid of your old CD-ROMs (just copy the files and toss the disk)!

About Daniel

Daniel is a graduate of CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, summa cum laude with a B.A. in Film Production and TV/Radio. He can be reached via his website, www.passingplanes.com. The Utopia of Daniel was his college blog and he has since transitioned to posting on other sites.