Webbed Menace: A new ARG for “The Amazing Spider-Man”

Being that we’re in the age of computers, “i devices,” smart phones and interactive television sets, it’s only right that companies start focusing on online promotional campaigns for products like video games (example: BioShock 2’s There’s Something in the Sea), chewing gum (example: 5 Gum’s Human Preservation Project), and now movies.

The new Spider-Man film, The Amazing Spider-Man, is getting fans involved with an online ARG (Alternate Reality Game) and viral phone number.

The Amazing Spider-Man's very own ARG.

First of all, if you didn’t know, this is all about a brand new Spider-Man movie that’s releasing on July 3, 2012. To be completely honest, I’m not sure why this is necessary for the series. Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel super hero, so you’d think I’d be really excited, but I wish they just left the original 2002 version alone (the good one with Tobey Maguire).

Anyway, this viral campaign is all about getting people to post pictures and / or videos of encounters with Spider-Man. The site has a large collection of pictures with people dressed up as Spider-Man, random spider webs, explosions, and other things you’d associate with the super hero.

It also features a video of NYPD Captain Stacy Speaks (the same one that’s going to be in the actual movie) talking about how all New Yorkers need to work together to take this masked vigilante down. A number on-screen reads “877-651-8503,” and if you call it, you should hear a recording telling you to visit webbedmenace.com. I called a week or so ago and heard the recording, but when I called earlier today, I got a busy signal. I’m not sure if that means that so many people called that it crashed or that it’s not playing anymore, but either way, things are bound to happen with that number up until the film’s release.

All in all, this is a very cool way to promote a film, and it’s interesting to see more and more company in varying industries trying out these new forms of advertising. I’ll definitely check out the film when it comes out, even though I’m not majorly excited for it. Who knows, maybe it’ll be better than Maguire’s version?

About Daniel

Daniel is a graduate of CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, summa cum laude with a B.A. in Film Production and TV/Radio. He can be reached via his website, www.passingplanes.com. The Utopia of Daniel was his college blog and he has since transitioned to posting on other sites.