NASA Enterprise flew right over me

When I was going to bed last night, I had absolutely no idea that the NASA Enterprise space shuttle was going to be piggybacking on a 747 jumbo jet and flying around New York City this morning. The reason I say this is because I had a very crazy dream involving planes…

In my dream, I was standing on the first floor of some random building with my mom and one of my best friends, Eric. I can’t remember what we were talking about, but Eric said something about seeing two planes flying really low outside (there was a huge glass window behind us). I ignored him and kept talking to my mom about whatever it is that we were talking about, but then Eric started yelling and saying the planes were getting closer. I turned around and saw two giant 747s flying practically straight at the ground. They both crashed into the building next to us, and the ground started shaking like crazy. I woke up after that.

When I got out of bed, I heard that the NASA Enterprise was piggybacking on a 747, and I got a little scared. I don’t think I’ve ever had a dream about two planes crashing like this, and now all of a sudden there were two planes flying around NYC. I’m sure I wasn’t the only New Yorker praying that the plane would land safely and that there wouldn’t be any kind of repeat of 9/11.

Thank God, both planes ended up landing safely and securely at John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, but not before flying directly over my mother and I as we drove to the Joseph P. Addabbo Memorial Bridge in Howard Beach to get a better view of the planes!

It was super-crowded at the beach by JFK Airport this morning. Last time I saw it like this was on 9/11.

It was a crazy feeling to have such an odd space shuttle / jumbo jet combo flying above you, but it also made me extremely proud to be an American. Seeing such a beautiful shuttle fly over one of the US’ greatest cities was breathtaking. It made me really think about how far this nation has come and what we’ve achieved.

The NASA Enterprise about to touch down at JFK!

The jet / shuttle is now housed in a hangar at JFK Airport until the summer, when it will be flown over to the USS Intrepid in Manhattan. It’s there that it will be at its final resting place, and what an honor it is to be retired onboard the Intrepid. I look forward to visiting the Enterprise one day. I can’t wait to look at the Enterprise and say: “live long and prosper.”

People watching as the A train passes by the Enterprise.

About Daniel

Daniel is a graduate of CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, summa cum laude with a B.A. in Film Production and TV/Radio. He can be reached via his website, www.passingplanes.com. The Utopia of Daniel was his college blog and he has since transitioned to posting on other sites.