Pokemon X and Y Giveaway – August, September, October, November 2014

If you’re a fan of Pokemon, than odds are you’ve beaten the X and/or Y versions long ago. However GameStop and Nintendo recently teamed up in a special giveaway to rekindle interest in the last two installments as well as promote the next games in the series, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

The current promotion is running until September 17 and is in two parts: the first being an Internet giveaway through Nintendo and the second being an in-store giveaway through GameStop. For the first part, all you have to do is start your copy of Pokemon X or Y, go to “Mystery Gift” on the main menu, and select to receive the gift through the “Internet.” You’ll get a level 50 Pinsir for X and a Heracross for Y. Once you’ve received the gift, load up your saved game and visit the delivery girl at any Pokemon Center in the game.

The second part is the main reason I’m making this blog post. Once you’ve received your Pinsir or Heracross, Nintendo states on the Pokemon website that you can “look for a flyer at GameStop that contains a serial code.” This code will entitle you to a Mega Stone that matches the Pokemon you received in the first step: Heracronite in Pokémon X or Pinsirite in Pokémon Y. The statement also makes it clear, “while at GameStop, you’ll be able to preorder your copy of Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and receive a special preorder bonus poster (while supplies last)!” Some internet game reviewers and Pokemon fans have reported that their local GameStop has actually held off on giving the code out without a preorder of the game, which goes against what Nintendo stated.

I visited my local GameStop today and encountered the same problem. The store manager told me that the code (which actually comes on a special card stock rather than a paper flyer) only comes with a preorder, and that he never heard about a special preorder poster. If you run into the same problem or are looking to get the code for yourself, do what I did: enter GameStop armed with all of the aforementioned information as well as the link to the official Pokemon statement about the code being a promotional giveaway unattached to any preorders. Once I stated my case and showed the link, the store manager just gave me the card. Don’t be rude, be respectful, and you’re sure to get the same treatment!

Pokemon X and Y Pinsir / Heracross Giveaway

The “flyer [and] code” in question–available at your local GameStop.

The next promotions were announced today by GameSpot: “From October 13 through October 26, players can visit a GameStop store in the US to receive a card containing a code for a Shiny Gengar for use in Pokemon X/Y. This Gengar will come holding a Gengarite Mega Stone, allowing it to Mega Evolve into a Shiny Mega Gengar. Following this, from October 27 through November 16, GameStop will be offering Diancie (the previously unobtainable Mythical Pokemon) for Pokemon X/Y. Once you’ve gotten your hands on one, you’ll be able to take it with you into Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, where you’ll then be able to get a Diancite Mega Stone that allows it to Mega Evolve into Mega Diancie.”

Only time will tell if Pokemon fans will have to jump through the same hoops as the first Pinsir and Heracross giveaway to get their “cards” containing the next waves of special codes.

Heracross and Pinsir Giveaway Information

Shiny Gengar and Diancie Giveaway Information

About Daniel

Daniel is a graduate of CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, summa cum laude with a B.A. in Film Production and TV/Radio. He can be reached via his website, www.passingplanes.com. The Utopia of Daniel was his college blog and he has since transitioned to posting on other sites.