Science News Article 3

Melena Scala

HON 223

Science News Article 3

This week, I found an article called, “Children who don’t eat eggs before first birthday more likely to develop egg allergy.” The title of the article is self-explanatory as it describes a study that found that 0.6 percent of one year old children and 0.8 percent of children six or younger in the study had an egg allergy. The parents of these children supposedly did not frequently feed their children eggs, suggesting that introducing eggs into the diet at an early age may prevent egg allergies. The article reports that these results were found using a survey of 2,237 parents, however I could not find an actual link to the study to verify that this was the procedure used. The hyperlinks in the article only led me to other pages on the website. When I clicked on one of the links it only took me to a page of articles on the website that were tagged “eggs;” another link led me to one with articles tagged “allergies.” Eventually, I found a link to a press release of the findings which included almost exactly the same information and wording used in the original article. The press release was posted on the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology website. The organization and doctors listed seem to be credible when I looked them up online, but I still couldn’t find the actual source for the original study in the press release.

“News & Resources.” ACAAI 2021 | Increased Frequency of Eating Eggs in Infancy Associated with Decreased Egg Allergy Later On, annualmeeting.acaai.org/2021/egg-allergy.cfm.

Study Finds, et al. “Children Who Don’t Eat Eggs before First Birthday More Likely to Develop Egg Allergy.” Study Finds, 5 Nov. 2021, www.studyfinds.org/kids-dont-eat-eggs-egg-allergy/.