Melena Scala News Article #4

Melena Scala

HON 223

Science News Article #4

One article that I found posted on CNN.com referenced a study that found that four in five parents that responded to a poll do not think their children are “as grateful as they should be.” The article examines the reasons that could be behind this phenomenon, such as whether parents are effectively teaching their children gratitude by modeling behavior or giving them opportunities to express through volunteer work, for example. Furthermore, it explores how the pandemic has possibly taken a toll on children and their behavior. I found that the article did include the sources of where its information was found in the form of hyperlinks. Something that was surprising to me was that the link to the study was not in the form of a traditional journal. Instead, the link brought me to the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital poll report on a separate website. The report consisted of different subsections that you could click on with infographics, media coverage and press release, and research methods. I wasn’t sure about how reliable this was, so I investigated the website further and found links to other academic journals and poll reports that the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital has done. I am not sure if the academic journal is not included because it was recently published, but it seems like the organization has published other credible studies previously. As for the article itself, the information included seems to match up with what the poll report found and I did not find anything that was taken out of context.

Sources

Liang, Sherry. “Parents Don’t Think Their Kids Are as Grateful as They Should Be, Poll Finds.” CNN, Cable News Network, 22 Nov. 2021, www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/health/parents-children-gratitude-wellness/index.html.

“Parent Efforts to Teach Children about Gratitude.” National Poll on Children’s Health, mottpoll.org/reports/parent-efforts-teach-children-about-gratitude.