Henry Mei – Reflections

I valued listening to the thoughts and sentiments of the people I interviewed, who I have all known for years now. I interviewed my brother and sister-in-law, my friend Sophia, and her parents Cecilia and Roberto. In all three interviews, everyone discussed different issues that they cared most about concerning the area. Kristi expressed concern about “outsiders” not understanding how Jackson Heights works; Sophia discussed the negative effects of a whitening neighborhood; Cecilia was worried about the growing homelessness in Jackson Heights. There are few clear answers to any of these issues, and the interviewees themselves showed confliction at some points. Kristi herself has only been here for a couple of years and Cecilia & Roberto seemed to understand that more people are becoming homeless due to unemployment from the pandemic.  

However, the aspect of life that was consistently mentioned in all the interviews I conducted was the amazing food in Jackson Heights. Kristi mentioned Tibetan momos in the southwest of the neighborhood, while Sophia and her parents recommended restaurants in the middle of the neighborhood. Perhaps the food of Jackson Heights is what unites all its residents; no one, regardless of background, can deny that the food here is unmatched by that of anywhere else in the world.  

I have said before that being from Jackson Heights feels like being a part of something bigger than just yourself. That has only become truer for me after working on this project.