A Winter in Cairo

Discovering a New World in Cairo, Egypt '10-'11

Learning Arabic

January17

So I started this entry …… 2 weeks ago. heheheeheheh. I know, I know, I should be updating more, this is like a journal, I should write daily, etc. But due to: 1) the shitty subpar internet provided by the oh-so-lovely 1 star Horus House Hotel (it’s a love and hate relationship), and 2) the busy days we’ve been having, it’s really hard to sit down and let myself just write. This also kind of shows that I’ve been doing a lot here, so that’s a good thing (or this is just an excuse for my abysmal blogging-ethic).

The original purpose of this entry was to talk about starting Arabic, but since the final is this week, I’ll just talk about the general progression of Arabic. To start off, I love the language. Love. I always listened to an Arabic song every now and then and loved how beautiful the language was. It flows off the tongue but is also punctuated by erratic glottal stops and noises that you’ve never heard before. I love it.

Learning it….is a whole different experience. It’s both harder and easier than I expected. On the one hand, I realize that I grasp words and vocabulary relatively quickly, but then re-learning how to read and write from right to left (in a completely different alphabet) is pretty difficult. (Italian, I’ve never appreciated you more.) But I also feel super-cool when I read a sentence. Or write one. (I have terrible handwriting. Arabic is like art because you have to let your hand be free and yet in control. I’m a failure. My writing looks like chicken-scratch written by a drunk chicken). But I still feel very proud of myself every time 😀 (until I find out that what I wrote/read was completely off. Whatever).

I definitely want to continue studying it when I get back to the states; perhaps in the form of a class or just reviewing myself. (ruhroh we know what that means 🙁 ). I just don’t want to waste the work I’ve put in here, and Arabic is so beautiful (and spoken in so many places) that it’s only a win win for me to continue studying it. My dreams of being bajillion-lingual are a small step closer to being realized.

I’m also thinking about coming back here for the summer for the St. Andrews Church internship. I still have to think about it though; and I don’t know how my parents are going to react at all. But it seems like a great opportunity. And I love this city…and maybe there’s other reasons for coming back too. Es posible.

This hasn’t been an exciting entry (it’s late. I need fresh material). I’m just really grateful for all things we’ve done and seen in this SHORT time (I don’t care what anyone else says, this ~month went by really fast :/). I have to sit down and run through everything and write about it, because it’s all been a great blur at some points.

2 Comments to

“Learning Arabic”

1. January 24th, 2011 at 7:16 PM       Zin Says:

Yes, indeed you’ve had a hell of a month! From what you’ve described on the blog and told me on our chats 🙂
    I really hope you can go back to Egypt again on that other internship! Then, you’ll already be familiar with the place and can delve deeper into its culture and appreciate its beauty even more!!!

Arabic sounds like an interesting language to learn… a bit intimidating at first, im sure. All the squiggles and dots all look so foreign, but i totally agree with you how the writing itself is like a piece of art. Keep on going with this!! and also teach me how to write my name in arabic some time! lol

Miss you babe!

2. January 25th, 2011 at 2:41 PM       Lerie Says:

You should definitely keep learning the language. It’s sad when you encounter a language you used to know and realize you’ve forgotten most of what you learned. It’s awesome that you love “the city” so much, definitely go back but make sure there’s no permanent arrangements being made 😛

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘309461034 which is not a hashcash value.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: