A Winter in Cairo

Discovering a New World in Cairo, Egypt '10-'11

Koshary and Hardees

January24

Is it weird of me that I think koshary and hardees deserve a whole post of their own? Maybe. Am I too food-obsessed? Maybe. Do I have a problem? Shut up.

Anyway, among all the happiness, rainbows, puppies and puddles of chocolate Cairo was providing me with, there was one area that had failed to shine: the food. Don’t get me wrong: I’m sure the food is amazing….for meat-eaters. As an only-chicken + vegetable lover, the food was kind of overwhelming. There was meat in EVERYTHING. And vegetables were hard to find. The day after we went to the pyramids, we visited a really nice restaurant (buffets are my best friends) where we had everything from rice in grape leaves, fried eggplant, to fried cauliflower, and falafel. delicious delicious delicious. Unfortunately, this was not an accurate depiction of what a typical meal in Zamalek would be like. To sum it up: I ended up eating so much Koshary and Hardee’s (for noobs: Hardee’s is the better version of McDonald’s. The ingredients are fresher (or so we tell ourselves) and it’s just so good.) that the workers at both places knew me and my order by heart. I got the same thing every time. Judge all you want. The spicy Santa-Fe Chicken was out of this world, okay? And those frenshy fries. <3

Now, let me explain what Koshary is….I actually have no idea. It’s some mixture of pasta, beans, lentil sauce, a tomato sauce and spices? Either way, it was 3 pounds (less than $1) for a filling bowl and pretty damn tasty.

NOM NOM NOM koshary

So yeah, in terms of food, I was a bit disappointed. In the beginning of the month, I never really felt satisfied after my meals; on the contrary, I was always eating to fill myself up but never really full or content. (Hardees changed this :3). But this is also probably because 1) I’m a poor college student so I was less willing to try better, if slightly more expensive, places, 2) If I’d taken the time out one day to really walk around and search for a different place, I might have found one. But I am stupid. Also the Pizza Hut in Cairo is really good. And the KFC. You can stop judging me now.

This has been a post.

by posted under Food, Things | 1 Comment »
One Comment to

“Koshary and Hardees”

1. January 25th, 2011 at 5:29 PM       Alex Says:

You can never be too food obsessed. Even if you’re disappointed it sounds like you still got to try a decent amount of new/foreign things. Plus you got to make friend’s at Hardee’s. I’ve always been curious about how crappy American chains are in other countries since everyone tells me they’re supposed to be better.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: