My God family’s Immigration Story

Many of the immigrants of the 1900’s came to the United States for new and better opportunities that their homeland could not offer them. Most people were chasing the ‘American dream’ in hopes of becoming wealthy and successful. Others came to the United States to escape mistreatment from their homeland or to pursue religious freedom. Whatever the reason was, the United States seemed to be the best or only option to choose from.

My god family is very dear to me. Since I was two months old they have taken care of me and watched me grow up. They are like my second family to me. My god family came to the United States for slightly different reasons. My godfather, Bob Wong, was born in Hong Kong, China but his parents were already citizens of the United States. His parents had returned to China to live long term and gave birth to their son there. During Richard Nixon’s presidency, Bob’s parents decided to return to the United States because of the better-quality lifestyle that the United States offered. Bob Wong immigrated to the United States soon after to reunite with his parents.

My godmother, Christine Wong, was born in Malaysia. She lived with her siblings and parents in a decent house with three bedrooms. Before she left to the United States, she worked as a sales promoter making about four hundred dollars a month in Malaysian money. When Christine was twenty-five years old, she flew to America to visit an old friend. Her original plan was to stay in the United States for three years to visit and earn money, and then return to Malaysia for good. But before she could return to Malaysia she met her husband Bob.

When the three years of visiting was over and it was time to leave, my godmother realized she preferred her new lifestyle. She would miss the rest of her family who was still in Malaysia. Working in Chinatown as a waitress, Christine made about five hundred dollars a month. It was double the amount of money she made back at home. But the most important reason that was keeping her here was Bob. She overstayed her visit and married him. She would later take the citizenship test to become a United States citizen.

Since my godmother originally resided in Chinatown with a roommate, Christine and Bob moved one last time. They found a nice cozy house in the best of the five boroughs, Brooklyn of course. Christine is still able to see her family. Two of her sisters came to visit New York for several years, and she returned to Malaysia with Bob just last year.