Don Giovanni: Un’opera in Due Atti

It was a good thing that I brought my inhaler to the Met last night because by the time we climbed Mount Everest to the Family Circle, I desperately needed it.  I guess it didn’t really matter that I brought my glasses because I wouldn’t even have been able to see the stage with the Hubble Telescope.  The thing that really makes the opera better than the rest of the things we’ve done so far, is that even though the seats were beyond terrible, the opera was still fantastic.  The opera was great from beginning to end.  I assume that the only good thing about the family circle is that it actually makes the opera more believable because you really can’t tell the difference between Don Giovanni and Leporello.  The Don’s and Leporello’s performances were absolutely fantastic.  Leporello is a true buffo.  The commendatore also did a great job even though he only had a small, but pivotal, role.  There were three instances during the opera that I can use to illustrate the magnificence of this opera.  First, I would choose Leporello’s Catalog Aria.  This aria, where Leporello tells Elvira about The Don’s list of women, exhibits Leporello’s real personality and is a pivotal aria in the opera.  (Audio of Leporello’s Catalog Aria performed by the man we saw, Luca Pisaroni, can be heard here.)  Second, I would say Don Giovanni’s Champagne Aria.  This aria, exhibits the inner Don Giovanni, and although short, is also a pivotal aria advancing The Don’s character.  (Audio of The Don’s Champagne Aria performed by the man we saw, Mariusz Kwiecien, can be heard here.)  Third, I would say that the end of the opera just adds the icing to the cake.  The final scene of The Don being dragged into hell can be portrayed in many different ways, some better than others.  This particular performance included the stage floor opening up and sucking The Don into “hell” in a blaze of pyrotechnic glory.  These three components of the performance of Don Giovanni proves the true magnificence and genius of the opera that we saw.  The last thing that I can say about Don Giovanni – Bravo!  Bravissimo!

Tags:

One Response to “Don Giovanni: Un’opera in Due Atti”

1. samueljenk Says:

I would have to say I completely agree with you Will. The walk was a mile, the stage was impossible to see; however the opera was magnificent. I didn’t think i could watch anything for three hours but I was wrong. My favorite part of the opera before going to the Met was the Catalogue Aria. I thought it was really amusing and seeing it performed made it that much better. Also, I did not expect the finale to be that grand. The “pyrotechnic glory” was amazing to see, and Don Giovanni actually looking like he was being dragged into hell was also amazing to see.
    Bravo!