The Year of the Flood A companion to Margaret Atwood's novel

The Year of the Flood
Adrienne Zhou

Hi all!

My name is Adrienne and I’m a sophomore currently pursuing a major in Health and Nutrition Science at Brooklyn College. I love to bake and have impromptu dance parties, and can be seen frequently stopping to pet dogs and making silly faces at babies in public.

For the website I focused on the Corporations’ power in the society of The Year of the Flood as demonstrated through the lives of main characters Ren and Toby. I also created Prezi maps that follow the two characters’ [physical] life journey—in contrast with the timelines for Ren and Toby which mark important moments in their lives.

My team (Pranitha Prabhu and Connie Lui, who created a Prezi map that follows Zeb’s life journey) and I decided to use Prezi because we wanted to visually represent the character’s movement. Prezi allowed us to create “paths” to match the paths of each character’s life, and the planned paths “jump” from one part of the presentation to another, thereby representing a character’s movement with actual movement.

I hope the visual aids and organized information on the site are helpful in guiding your reading of Margaret Atwood’s The Year of the Flood.
Bon appetit!