Instructor: Chester B. Zarnoch, Ph.D.
Office Phone: (646) 660-6239
Office: 707, 23
Office hours: Thursday 1:00-2:00 or by appointment
Lecture: TTh 11:10-12:25 in room 3145 of the Vertical Campus
Instructional Technology Fellow: Amanda Licastro
Office Hours: Mondays 12-3:00pm. I will hold office hours in VC 7235 in the cubicle marked 7230B. And virtual office hours via Google Hangout, chat, or Skype on Tuesdays from 12-3pm (email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment).
- The Economics of Social Ecological Systems
- Letting The Common Man Learn To Manage The Commons
- Organization is Key
- Elinor Ostrom: Nobel Legacy
- elinor ostrom + ownership
- Presentation tips and tricks
- Complexity vs. Chaos
- Spreading the Discussion on Biodiversity
- Biodiversity Loss and Its Impact on Human Activity
- Biodiversity Loss: What You Need To Know
- Biodiversity’s Importance
- Understanding Humanity’s Impact on Biodiversity
- Bottom-Up? Think Again.
- The implications of our Top-Down Systems
- Bottom-Up or Top-Down?
- A New Approach
- A Traditional Theory Reconsidered -Silliman 2002
- Dinner at the Cost of Destroying the Environment
- It’s Not All About the Money
- “We stress again that this is only a starting point.”
- valuation matters
- Not Everything Has a Valuation
- Adding A Monetary Value to Nature
- Heavy costs on resources
- Can Everything Be Quantified?
- A BioBlitz Segment
- GIS workshop at Baruch
- BioBlitz Experience
- More too offer than just a zoo -Central Park
- BioBlitz: Discovering the Ecosystem of New York City
- A Brief BioBlitz
- Central Park Bioblitz
- Saved By Shakespeare
- Blitzing through central park at 5am
- Something New
- My BioBlitz Experience
- Retrospective Amazement
- Flight of Thought
- Being a Botanist for a Day
- Snails, Anyone? BioBlitz!
- bioblitzing on a muggy tuesday morning
- You are famous! #CentralParkBioBlitz in the news!
- Bio Blitz
- Reading Responses
- Hello world!
If you want to add yourself as a user, please log in, using your existing Macaulay Eportfolio account.
Biodiversity’s Importance--posted on Sep 30, 2013
Something New--posted on Sep 2, 2013
Comments"I agree with you in that this paper was quite different in that it did feel like it was changing into an economics paper. However, this is most likely a product of her writing and her "background" in economics. Over the course, we have always wondered on how to connect this science and information to the public in an efficient way. Simply put, we need more people like Ostrom, as she is one of the few people who I feel like can convey ideas to the public due to her analogies. Her idea of systems and view of complexity really did open my eyes in that sometimes complex systems are necessary in order to address all the possible problems that may arise and that a simple solution may not fully utilize the resources to address certain problems."
--( posted on Nov 12, 2013, commenting on the post The Economics of Social Ecological Systems )