Before the Forever-Boy

Peter Pan has been readapted a myriad of times to theatre, cartoon, movies, and children’s book.  Each has a different take on J.M. Barie’s original mischievous forever-boy who flies.  Rick Elice (influenced by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson’s novel) explores the story about the boy before the forever-boy.  He explores the boy without a name – the boy before Peter Pan.

The story is told through occasional narration by all of the actors in the play.  I would say the curtain opens up, but it doesn’t.  As the lights dim, the actors just walk onto the stage and start the tale.  Imagine two ships: the Neverland, a pretty wimpy ship on a voyage to Rundoon, and the Wasp, a strong vessel making a similar voyage to Rundoon, only a more direct and dangerous path.  Lord Aster (Rick Holmes), aboard the Wasp, is on a mission to destroy one of Queen Victoria’s (GOD SAVE HER!) secret treasures in a volcano on Rundoon.  Unfortunately, Slank (Matt D’Amico), the captain of the Neverland, switches the treasure filled trunk with a sand filled trunk.  The main plot revolves around getting that trunk – everyone wants it!  Of course there are more specific scenes – the dangerous jungles of Randoon, the magical mermaids, the swashbuckling pirates (yeah right!) – but I don’t want to give too much away.

Now, let’s introduce the rest of the well-known characters!  We have Teddy (Eric Petersen), Prentiss (Carson Elrod), and Boy (Adam Chanler-Berat), Molly (Celia Keenan-Bolger), Mrs. Bumbrake/Nana (Arnie Burton), and of course Black Stache (Matthew Saldivar).  Obviously none, or almost none, of these names sound familiar.  How are they well known characters?  Teddy and Prentiss are the lost boys (hinted at in the beginning through a play on words).  Boy is, drumroll please, PETER PAN!  Molly?  Well, Molly turns out to be Wendy’s mother – you know, future Wendy who goes on adventures with Peter!  Molly also is a starcatcher, like her father Lord Aster.  Starcatchers are guardians of “star-stuff,” or the magical powder that creates Tinker Bell and lets Peter stay a boy forever.  Mrs. Bumbrake is Molly’s nana, and in the future, Wendy’s dog is named Nana.  Now for the obvious: Black Stache is CAPTAIN HOOK!  Who could leave him out?

Like many shows I go to see, I didn’t have many expectations for this show.  Quite frankly, all I knew was that it had something to do with Peter Pan and that children (Peter, Molly, Prentiss, and Teddy) were played by adults.  I quite honestly thought it was going to be a musical.  Though there are a few songs here and there, it is not a musical.  I didn’t know it was going to be FUNNY!  Oh, funny it was!  Not only was the script genius in its language and word play, and not only were the actors superb in their comedic timing, but even the props were humorous!  In one scene with mermaids, the actors dressed up in seashell bras made of ketchup squeezers and tea strainers.  The set was so well made, but apparently was very low budget.  It gave a very child-like atmosphere.  Imagination and pretend really dominated the space and I think that really fits the theme of Peter Pan.

I must really emphasize my adoration of Matthew Saldivar’s portrayal of Black Stache.  At his first entrance, he comes out with his thick mustache and bugging eyes, resembling a Groucho Marx and Borat hybrid.  Every action he makes is done in an exaggerated gesture.  Every joke he cracks sends the audience into a roaring laughter.  There are times where the audience doesn’t even know why he’s doing some of the things that he does, but they can’t help but chuckle.  And when he lost his right hand?  Don’t get me started!  “Oh my G-d.”

Overall, this show is a must see.  I don’t rave about a show unless it is absolutely deserving, and I must say that Peter and the Star Catcher is a phenomenal production.  Who needs Christian Borle (from SMASH) when you have Matthew Saldivar?  Who needs a million dollar set when you’ve got tea strainer bras?  I definitely don’t.

Peter and the Starcatcher
Brook Atkinson Theatre
September 29, 2012

Marina B. Nebro