Front to the Future

Front to the Future 

Time traveling cars may just be a Hollywood creation, but they’re not the only way to move into the future at light speed. The Cooper Hewitt museum’s By The People exhibit suggests new ways to look at everything from the how we run probation offices, to run down gas stations, and (of course) the cars we drive.

“The Orbit,” a car of the future. [photo by Lucien Formichella]

People on probation sit in the renovated waiting area [photo by Lucien Formichella]

The Probation Resource Hubs, designed by Biber Architects, are changing the way probation offices are run across New York City. The concept of the design is essentially to change the way waiting rooms are laid out. By taking away bulletproof glass, and adding better benches and more eye-pleasing colors, the stress of seeing a probation officer has been dramatically reduced. The project even reported that waiting times have been cut to 20 minutes after the more relaxed environment got introduced. This was my favorite piece in the gallery. It addressed something that I think is a huge issue with out criminal justice system (the way that people are treated in it). This new system seems to be a step in the right direction in terms of improving relationships between offenders and officers. It also raises an interesting point in terms of aesthetics. Uncomfortable benches and dull colors make the DMVs, homeless shelters, or any other type of government building more depressing than they already are. The process of going through a metal detector before you can get a bed, or having to talk to your probation officer behind bulletproof glass can make things seem even more hopeless. This project serves those trying to better their lives, and serves as a really interesting example of the effect of surroundings on the human mind.

To learn move about the Probation Resource Hub, click here

Gas station turned “green roof” [photo by Lucien Formichella]

The Superuse Pavilion is a creative, if not completely original, project designed by Hans Herrmann and Cory Gallo at the University of Mississippi with the goal of taking decaying objects and making them more sustainable for the future. This particular project saw a gas station turn into a “green roof” whose “lush vegetation provides a local habitat for migrating birds and insects.” It also “improves air quality by absorbing carbon dioxide, and filters rainwater.” I think this is a really interesting concept. Whenever I see a green roof, it’s usually on top of an apartment or building. I think the originality of this project comes from the fact that they took a gas station (something responsible for a ton of pollution) and were able to make it sustainable, and a benefit to everyone, after it stopped being used.

I think this idea is a prime candidate for adaption to New York (a city that already does a lot with parks in an attempt to become green conscious). I think a project like this, working within existing structures, could really help make a borough like Brooklyn or Queens a lot greener. There are a number of abandoned gas stations deep in Bushwick, and buildings that simply sit there waiting to be knocked down. If it is possible to turn those structures into green roofs, I think it could be really good for the city. I would love to see this project go further and develop green roofs for warehouses or buildings that are still in use, so that nature and infrastructure can coexist a little better.

To learn more about the Superuse Pavilion, click here

The Future People (a husband and wife duo) from Grand rapids Michigan started the “Future Cycles” project in 2012 with the objective of making driving more green. In 2015 they created their latest vehicle, The Orbit. Though it is an interesting idea, and the epitome of a futuristic vehicle, I can’t see the Orbit catching on fully in New York City, with a few exceptions of course. I feel this way for two main reasons. The first, The Orbit is a hybrid of a car and a bike. I can’t see this working well in a congested metropolitan area like New York City. It seems to work decently well in Michigan (where the videos are shot) but I think a big part of that is the fact that there is so much space on all the streets where they drive. It would be hellish to sit in traffic on 42nd street. The creators bill it as having the best parts of a bike, and the best parts of a car (being environmentally friendly, while also having wind and weather protection). This may be true, but my fear is that it sacrifices safety. I couldn’t see any airbags or protection beyond the metal cover. Moving through New York City traffic is scary enough. The thought of doing it in something as unsafe as a bike, and yet somehow less maneuverable, is even less appealing. Maybe it will catch on in the boroughs, where there is less traffic, but I feel like the main appeal of The Orbit is that it can drive like a car, so it would be a tough case to make over a bike (beyond days of bad weather). The other issue is the charging station. Though it might be less expensive in the long term, the set up cost can be incredibly expensive. In reality, the only people who can afford this type of vehicle are those who are environmentally conscious with a disposable income, and I just can’t see The Orbit competing with bikes and the subway system. I’m always interested in alternative energy sources, and I think this could be really helpful in rural areas if they can keep working on the design.

To learn more about “The Orbit,” click here