Post-Spain Essay

February 25, 2021 | Leave a Comment

Most people in the world speak more than one language. I, who only speak English, would like to be able to go to another country and learn their language. Ever since I joined Macaulay Honors at Baruch in 2017, I have been excited about the prospect of being able to go travel and study in another country. The Spanish language has about 460 million native speakers in the world. In terms of most spoken language overall, it is number 4, making it the perfect language to try and conquer(which in retrospect sounds very American- colonizer of me).

I work in a very Russian and Hispanic populated area, meaning most of our customers and clients are bilingual, often preferring to speak in their native tongue. I teach an afterschool program to children of three and four years old and most of the kids in my class and the class that I help with speak Spanish. That means most of them have to follow along using their sight and the very little Spanish that I do know. There I am on Tuesdays and Sunday afternoons trying to lead a class in my very basic professional Spanish when most of these kids have learned conversational Spanish and probably wonder why I sound so weird. These are amazing children; smart, empathetic, and willing to learn. And that is what I have gleaned with my subpar Spanish skills. I would love to be able to come into class one day and be able to talk and communicate not only with these three- and four-year old’s who mean the world to me, but also to their parents who have put their trust in me.

I’ve grown up around many languages and dialects including French, Italian, Bajan, and of course Spanish. My family tree consists of many nationalities including Native American, Bajan, and Dominican. I have always wanted to learn more about Spanish and Hispanic culture and the Salamanca program through Baruch would be a perfect opportunity. The Dominican Republic was one of the first European settlements along with the area known as Haiti. Going to Spain, where it all started, and understanding the “European” side of my culture would be a great lesson and opportunity, not only for me but for my brothers who might not get that chance.

The trip would not bring too much cultural shock, as I have been to other countries before, and I am used to the initial differences and confusion. I have been to Poland, Europe, Ireland, and Wales but in those places, I have never gotten the chance to learn the language of the people. Being able to go to Spain and learn Spanish at the same time is a golden opportunity. It would be an immersive experience that would give me the experience I need for when I start traveling for work later on in my life.

When I was in high school I read this quote by Jeanette Walls, the former MSNBC member and author of The Glass Castle. The quote read: “One of the many lessons I hope I’ve learned is how much I underestimated people, their open-mindedness and their willingness to understand. I think, moreover, I underestimated the degree to which everyone has a story. So, my advice, for whatever it’s worth, is to trust readers, trust the truth and trust the power of storytelling.” This quote is the reason I wanted to start doing journalism in the first place. I had always been an avid reader and consumer of stories, fact or fiction. I loved the idea that everyone had a story to tell if only there is someone to listen to them. In my current Journalism class with published book writer Beth Macy, I have learned some of the best stories come from those who often do not have a medium by which to tell them. My career goal is to be traveling journalism with a focus on underdog stories. I want to be able to go to countries where the people have limited access to the government or to media. I want to learn about the people and let their stories be told. Being a part of this study abroad trip to Salamanca, I would not only get to learn about the history of Spain, but I would also get to familiarize myself with the local culture and people. Baruch’s journalism department is a great one, however, there aren’t many classes on cross-cultural reporting. Knowing another language would allow me to not only tell the stories of people who speak English but it would allow me to translate the stories of Spanish speakers for more people to read. I would love to be the medium for more people to have their truth out in the world. Going to Salamanca, Spain would be a wonderful opportunity that would open a door for many, and allow me to pay it forward and open many doors for others.

Studying in Spain will allow me to go further into my academic studies at Baruch. Having traveled to another country and studied the culture and language will give me an advantage point in my future journalism classes. Combining my experience with my communications minor will allow me to understand the perspective of communication that I did not understand before.

After graduation, I would like to continue my current work with children who do not speak English that well. I want to be able to communicate with many people, not only for my journalism work but also because I feel like the world is a large place and not being able to properly communicate is one thing holding us back from our truest potential. To knock one of those doors down in my life would be a git.

When I was 16 years old I was asked by my high school to be a representative for the Catholic World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland. It was an awe-inspiring trip and provided many opportunities to learn about multiple cultures all at once. On one of those days, as we made our way back from a touring of Krakow, there was a huge party outside our hotel room. Some of us got separated from our teacher. We were 15/16 years old lost in a party of adults, the most drunk, and we could not help but become anxious. I made an executive decision to lead the group of four and after half an hour we made it safely back to our hotel. A frightening moment but perhaps one of my bravest.

A more recent moment was when my family life fell apart. I was kicked out of my house, separated from most forms of support. Instead of succumbing to the desire to give in to self-pity, I chose to be practical and do what I could in a hard situation. I made my part-time job a full-time job, took fewer classes, and trusted in the opinions of those around me, especially my advisor Harmony Osei. I realized that to be truly independent I had to acknowledge the people who support me.

Planning to study abroad and actually committing to going was not an easy choice. I have to choose to leave the little family I have behind, to leave my friends, and most importantly leave my job, which has become a strong source of support and happiness in my life. I mention all of this so I can stress how much this opportunity would mean to me.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind