a macaulay honors seminar taught by prof. gaston alonso

Society: The Food Chain of Obedience

In the world, there has been and will always be a food chain. Whether this is before or after society, whether the chain is visible or hidden. It’s a chain that binds us all together, imposing burdens on those below, and serving those above. I will describe this in the negative in positive lights, using The Walking Dead and Fullmetal Alchemist as my conceptual bridges.

The easiest way to visualize our food chain is through a pre or post-societal situation. In The Walking Dead, the world has been overrun by zombies. The story is of the struggle between said zombies and the remaining human race, over who is the slave and who the master. There are also lower forms, being animals, serving both humans and zombies, and lower forms, like plants, etc. Above humanity is disease; above zombies is those with reason. Above all, powers with no master, is science, or God, or fate, whatever you like to call it. Masters exert control over and feed on their slaves.

Now that I’ve explained the concept of power and control, I’d like to put a positive spin on it. In Fullmetal Alchemist, there are alchemists who can manipulate elements, atoms, and the like into different forms and compositions to their liking. The reasoning behind this is that they understand what is essentially the circle of life, and so, obtain the power to interact with it directly. They see how lower forms of power serve higher forms, and allow them to survive and thrive. It’s presented as the blissful natural organization of the universe; Servants help those above them to live, and obtain purpose.

However you like to view it, this chain of command exists in today’s society to the same degree as ever. The difference is that the slaves, the zombies, the sheep, have been taught that they’re in control, and that they’re free. The chain has been camouflaged. The question remains if it’s “right”. That, I can’t claim to give evidence for, but I personally lean to yes. Hey, better than chaos eh?

Angotti shows us who really has the power in NYC, but he’s also shown as that the power’s been shifting. The weak many have started to realize the power of numbers, and bond together to force those above them to serve their needs, keeping their homes and businesses. At the time of his writing, community boards, community participation, advisory voting and the like weren’t working too well. With the recent presidential election, I believe people both realize the power of the vote, as well as its lack of power.

Wanted to try out this writing style. “Let the reader create their own interpretation” and all that jazz. Hope you enjoyed. – Josh Salame