The Privatization of Risk

While reading “Privatization of Risk,” by Craig Calhoun, there were a few things that stood out to me. The first and most personal is the effect privatization of risk has had on universities. It is unfortunate that the greed of the American Government has led to less funding for some of their greatest public universities. Being a student here at Brooklyn, it concerns me that most of the school’s costs is no longer covered by the government. Despite the fact that my tuition is being paid by Macaulay, who is to say that my fees won’t exponentially increase over the next few years if the government continues to cut back. Another thing that stood out to me was how socialist the article sounded. Although I agree that part of the social construct of government is to take on responsibility of risk for the masses, we are still a country based on capitalism.  There are going to be different levels of risk and ensuing damage based on one’s wealth, but it is the economic ability to attain wealth, that makes this country so great. I’m not saying that the article doesn’t raise some valid points such as the relief and aid to New Orleans after a natural disaster. However, the article’s arguments pertaining to government services such as pensions, Medicare and Social Security are unfounded. Part of this country’s capitalist foundation is the idea of survival of the fittest, and it is not the job nor is it even possible for the government to ensure that every citizen is taken care of.