City of Ambition (Ch 1-3)

I found this book to be very interesting in the way that it tells the story of President FDR and NYC Mayor LaGuardia. It provides both biographical facts and political explanations of the events of the time period. Most interesting to me, however, was the difference in upbringing and how that shaped their ideals and future policies. For example, LaGuardia was the son of two immigrants and saw New York, although born there, with as much promise and potential as other immigrants. His optimism of what New York could become for him was evident in his persona. Later, amongst many other things, he strongly argues for higher wages and shorter hours amongst lower class immigrants. Similarly, FDR was brought into his prestigious family name with an upper-class raising. This upper-class idea included a preference to nature over busy city streets. Through the New Deal, changes were made that displayed FDR’s high regard for nature and parks. I believe that the upbringings of both politicians had shaped their policies and what they argue for or against.