The Professor

Prof. UgoretzThat’s me!  Does it feel strange to you to start a class without “meeting” the professor in person (unless you have met me–I think some of you have).  I’m pretty used to it now after teaching online for almost 10 years, but it still isn’t quite normal (something we can discuss more).  But maybe it’s more normal for you?  Still, I think I should give you as much of an opportunity as possible to “meet” me.

There are a lot of ways to do that–of course you could google me (did some of you do that already?).  You can also take a look at my profile in our own eportfolio system (if you’re logged in) and you can friend me there!  And yes, I’m jugoretz on facebook, too (but does it feel strange to “friend” your professor on facebook? There’s a lot of debate in the academic community about whether that’s a good idea or not. I won’t be hurt if you don’t.  And maybe that’s something else we can discuss.)

And I have my own “expo site” that I made for online students some time back.  There’s more biographical information there.

We can (we will!) talk about what it means to have a digital identity, how we’re building them, and how close they come to the “real” people we are in “real” life.

But probably most of you just want to know how to reach me if you have a question or need help.

That’s easy.

• My email address is joseph.ugoretz@mhc.cuny.edu .
  • My office phone number is 212-729-2920
  • (my office is at Macaulay, at 35 W 67 Street)
  • I’m jugoretz on googletalk
  • and jugoretz on skype (we’ll do some “skype your professor” office hour sessions, if you like)
  • And jugoretz on twitter, too

With all of that, I think the best way to get in touch with me is by email–I always answer emails in less than 24 hours.  Sometimes much less.

I’m sure all of you have your own digital identities…and we’ll be looking at those, too!