Written by Jimmy Assis

On Dami Chen: Sticking to Her Chinese Roots

On Dami Chen: Sticking to Her Chinese Roots by Jimmy Assis

Most immigrants come to New York in search of financial benefit, purely trying to escape the harsh economy of their previous land. However, even though everyone would love to make more money, some immigrants actually come in search of a better life as a whole. From what I understood with my time with Dami Chen, her parents fall right into that second category.

new-york-city

Both of Dami’s parents were born in China and lived in the different areas of the Fujian Province, a southeastern Chinese province known for its mountains and coastal cities. In the 1990’s, both separately immigrated illegally to New York City by boat, where they found each other and eventually got married. After their marriage, they both went to court together and luckily won their green cards together, currently living in Manhattan happily as permanent residents but not full citizens.

Fujian Province     The Fujian Province      WuyishanView

Dami Chen, born in Manhattan, and raised partially in the US and partially in China, is looking to major in international business; a major which she feels will “take advantage for my love for travel and Chinese speaking skills.” Dami explains that people who are immigrants of the Chinese Culture usually come to America, have children here, and then “ship them off” to China in order to experience their cultural roots while the parents stay to make money for their better life. Dami was one of those Children. She was taken to China as a young child and was then “shipped” back here to start school and her journey through her hopefully healthy and financially successful life.

Chen Aichinese_beauty

Chen Ai-li (defined as: surname, love, beauty and hopefully depicted above), Dami’s Chinese name, was given to her by her Grandfather who still lived in China at the time. Her English name, Dami, was interestingly given by her mother while she was watching Television. Dami explained that her mother saw the name and just instantly loved it, giving Chen Ai-Li her new legal American name.

“But the thing is… My name is pretty unique. I bet you never met an Asian with an English name Dami, but then my brother’s name is just Kevin Chen.” The concept of English names given in replacement for Chinese names always interested me.

“So the question I always had for people of Asian decent, is when you change your name is it because you are falling to cultural pressure and diffusion to just simply associate yourselves and fit in, or would you rather have the American name?”(Jimmy)

Dami believes that for some Asians, like herself whose English name is her legal name, they don’t really have a choice but to associate themselves with their English name. However, for others, “they might prefer their names just because its easier for others to speak with them and introduce themselves. For example, Joanne is Joanne but her legal name is different. When teachers take attendance it says something else; her Chinese name. But when I go back to China, I live as Ai-Li.” I learned that Asians aren’t trying to escape their roots… They are embracing their new lives while still living their true Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. lives behind the scenes.

Flag

When Dami eventually came back to the United States to start school, her English speaking skills were extremely weak. Fortunately, she was blessed with ESL classes in which she was pulled out of class constantly to improve her English though one on one sessions. Halfway through third grade, her parents moved to Clarksville, Tennessee for a business opportunity while Dami was raised by her aunt in New York until eventually she also moved to Tennessee.

Clarksville

“There were like two Asians and then me.”

Those words struck me. It seemed as though that was impossible and it definitely was harder for Dami to grow up in Tennessee as an Asian in comparison to being in New York, but it allowed her to develop into the proud American born Asian she is today.

After she made it back to New York, she struggled through her attempted admission essay into Columbia Secondary school. After her English wasn’t good enough to get into her preffered school, she was forced to attend Frederic Douglas Academy, a school which basically had only Black and Hispanic students. Unfortunately, she faced her fair share of discrimination, being that she was one of the only Asian students in the school:

“Everyone made fun of me, they called me like “chicken wings” and what not.”

But once again, Dami recalls that this helped her to once again accept who she was, yet she still decided to assimilate in order to fit in. She like many other Asians always knew that her roots lie in China, however life must move forwards and for Dami it did exactly that!

Eventually, Dami was able to make it into Brooklyn Tech, a place that she believed suited her more as “you know, its easier to be around more of your own people”, where she met her best friend and many new Asian connections in which she believes will help her in the future.

taiwan-banner

Taiwan

Dami explains that she would rather live in China, but she always hears of horrible things happening in China. Therefore, even though she loves the American life, she really would love to move to somewhere in the far east, including dream destinations anywhere from Taiwan, Korea, or Japan; countries in which she could pursue occupations which will suit her major

While the span of food ranges throughout all of China and its different provinces, her favorite food is simply French fries and rice cakes. Simple, yet those foods were something she always loved. Her favorite holiday is the Chinese New Years, and while she does identify with the Buddhist Religion, she still celebrates Christmas “just because I’m in America… Like who doesn’t want presents!”

Fluent in the Fujian dialect which is the local language, Mandarin, understanding Cantonese, and obviously fluent in English, Dami will god-willing have a successful life ahead of her, turning her skills into wealth and prosperity.

Dami was born into a low income immigrant family but it never really affected her that much. Of course, similarly to many of us, Dami explains that “There’s always things I want but I understand that I can’t afford everything and I just never killed myself over it.” This quote, along with many other things learned from Dami goes to show the impressive and amazing values of the Chinese Culture. Even though many Chinese immigrants come to the United States in search of a better financial life, they still value their roots most, searching for a better Chinese life as a whole while still making sure to instill the most important roots of their Chinese background.

Be the first to leave a comment!