A Visit From The Gulf Coast Youth Choir

It’s been such a horrific day outside. I woke up this morning seeing snow on the ground, but by the time I first stepped foot out of doors at 9:30, all the snow had been washed away by cold, puddly rain. The sky was gray with no hope of letting the sun peak through. It was a slow day filled with napping, moping, and moaning about the hundreds of pages I needed to read for class. I had no plans for the evening, and was hoping for something interesting to happen.

Who knew there was a concert tonight at LeFrak Concert Hall? I definitely didn’t! Luckily, in calling a friend, I found out that a visiting school was planning on performing with our own Queen’s College Women’s Choir. Due to the inclement weather, Gulf Coast Youth Choir logohowever, the concert was pushed to 6:00 instead of 7:30, leaving me in a rush without dinner.

As I approached the Aaron Copland School of Music, I saw young girls in black dresses rushing to the front doors with their camera phones out. Were they excited to see someone coming to their concert? I didn’t realize, though, that they had never seen snow before! These children are from Florida, a place where snow never falls. They were in a winter wonderland!

Now, what is the Gulf Coast Youth Choir?
Founded in 1992 by Dr. Lynne Gackle, the choir is a not-for-profit, choral arts organization for young people in the Tampa Bay and surrounding metropolitan area. This community is dedicated to excellence in the performance of choral music and to the creation of an environment which fosters musical development.

Within this Youth Choir, there were various small groups – the Voce di Vita, Mannchor, Girl Choir, and Le Petit Choeur. They each had their moment to shine, and I shall highlight one song from each group.

Voce di Vita

Thou, O Jehovah, Abideth Forever … Copland

Conducted by our very own James John, the girls in this choir group sang beautifully. Before beginning, Conductor John told the audience that this was a motet – a very particular type of choral piece that was popular in the middle ages and renaissance. There were hints of antiquity in the piece, but Copland definitely put his own spin on the classic motet. It was hard to believe, listening to this piece, that the singers up on stage were only in high school! The harmonies were spot on, even when Copland brought in some of his dissonant chords. The vocalists seemed to be very into the music, as I saw them swaying to the melody.

Mannchor

Confitemini Domino … Constantini

As I’ve mentioned before, I love “old” music. In this case, Constantini is a late renaissance composer (1581-1657). As the name of this group seems to hint at, this was an all-boys choir. They sang without any accompaniment, making the piece sound beautifully antique. Though there were some stumbles, I forgive them because I can never get enough of this kind of music!

Girl Choir

Fire … Goetze

This piece was definitely filled with the fire and spirit of the girls singing it! The words and the music both aided in creating a burning image in my head. It’s very difficult to describe something so filled with energy, and because of this, I would really recommend giving it a listen!

Le Petit Choeur

Heart, We Will Forget Him … Dickau

I’m picking this piece mainly because we’re nearing Valentine’s Day. This is a holiday that’s either a hit or a miss for many people, and I thought I’d make those who look at the day with an evil eye feel a little better through music. The melody and harmonies really evokes a feeling of longing, loss, hatred, and desire.

EVERYONE TOGETHER NOW

Sylvie … arr. Stone

The risers were packed as all of the Florida studentsĀ and some of our Women’s Choir vocalists sang together. Sandra Babb conducted this piece. She let the audience know that the students had only just learned the piece today – by ear! In an effort to review the piece and to engage the audience, conductor Babb sang the first line, and then had everyone repeat it. After going through all the lines in this manner, we began to sing. After a few repetitions, she encouraged the vocalists on stage to start their harmonies. It was absolutely beautiful; not to mention the fact that the performers started to follow a syncopated choreography as well!

Oh the things a winter snow storm can bring you! All you have to do is seek some excitement! The Gulf Coast Youth Choir performs locally, nationally, and internationally. Look them up! Maybe you can enjoy their beautiful voices, but hopefully in some better weather!

Gulf Coast Youth Choirs
LeFrak Concert Hall
February 8, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

Marina B. Nebro

Posted: February 8th, 2013
Categories: Music
Tags:
Comments: 4 Comments.
Comment from Kara Dwyer - February 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Dear Ms. Nebro,

Your blog came up on my google notifications. How wonderful to read a review of our visit to NYC. We are so glad you enjoyed the concert and were able to attend on such short notice and with all the snow causing issues with the city transportation networks. Our students had a blast up there, and you are right that for many of them it was their first time seeing snow – it was magical for them.

If you ever find yourself in the Tampa, Florida area, look us up. We would love to have you at our concerts!

Warm regards,
Kara Dwyer
Director of Operations
Gulf Coast Youth Choirs
http://www.gulfcoastchoir.com

Comment from marinanebro - February 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM

You are so welcome! Very often there is not a lot going on around the Queens College Campus at nights because it is a commuter school and I live in the dorms. I cherish each concert I attend at LeFrak!
I think it’s amazing that you guys took the time and energy to make your way up to NY!

Marina B. Nebro

Comment from Frances Calderin - February 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Thank you so much for this review, I didnt think anyone came to see us due to the storm! For your enjoyment here is a playlist to the videos of our performance at Queens! http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLVHNSXBvodj-Xl4yk-qBpHUgFi-rRGZCG&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPLVHNSXBvodj-Xl4yk-qBpHUgFi-rRGZCG
Thanks again,
Frances
GCYC Le Petit Member

Comment from marinanebro - February 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Thank you so much for the link! I really did enjoy myself! I’m really grateful that my friend Alex (she was in the Woman’s Choir that sang with you guys) told me about the concert at the last minute! At least you had your entire choir, some family members, and other performers to watch you. Often times, the LeFrak concerts are very sparsely attended šŸ™

Marina B. Nebro