Marina’s First Comedy Show

In the words of Aziz Ansari, stand up is a form of art. I agree, ’cause I sure as hell couldn’t do it! That being said, it’s a very Aziz Ansari Publicitydifferent art than I’ve been exposed to. Sure, I’ve watched Larry the Cable Guy on Comedy Central, or Joan Rivers in her documentary, but I’ve never actually gone to see a comedian live. To be honest, I was a bit nervous. What if I didn’t find the jokes funny? I mean, it’s very often that I select Comedy Central Stand Up on demand and am quite disappointed with my choice. I’m glad to say, sitting in ROW C at Colden Auditorium, I really did enjoy the show.

If I hadn’t gone to a concert last year featuring The Wanted, I would have never had the hunch that Aziz would have an opening act. Well, that hunch was correct, and out walked… okay, to be honest I really don’t know the guy’s name. And I’ve asked around! I really do think that publicity should advertise opening acts as well. For The Wanted concert, there was NOTHING mentioning a sexy singer named Zander Bleck or some talentless DJ named I-don’t-really-care. But what if I did care? Through all of the noise and the screaming crowd, how is anyone able to pick up some comedian or DJ’s name, unless it’s printed on their drum set?

Anyway, I am really and truly getting off topic here. I know Aziz Ansari from the NBC primetime show Parks and Recreation. He plays a spunky, young Tom Haverford – a man with big ideas and a small body. Aziz is really tiny. When he came out after the first act, that microphone stand was mighty high for him! Later in the show, Ansari let the audience know that he was testing out some new material for his next special. His main topics covered dating and modern technology – relevant enough, I think!

In addition to his tidbits and tales, Aziz also did a bit of audience interaction. Now, I know when it comes to audience interaction, "NO PICTURES!" said Aziz Ansari. "Going to take a picture anyway," says the entire audience.some people hate it and some people love it. My father, for instance, can’t stand it. He believes that it’s just what comedians do when they run out of stuff to say. Personally, I think my dad is afraid it might be him up on that stage (sorry Dad)! On the topic of texting, Aziz asked if anyone in the audience was in the following type of relationship: you’ve been texting back and forth, and it isn’t quite obvious where the relationship is going. A brave young man in one of the front rows raised his hand and offered up his phone to Aziz, allowing him to read his text messages aloud toBright Eyes and Bushy Tail? the audience. Not to get personal or anything, but if I had a phone that could show all of my text and Facebook conversations, I would surely have released it to that short brown man! I mean, I definitely have enough material to show him. That aside, Aziz gave the audience member advice, and in the end he successfully asked Coleen (yup, we all know her name) on a date in Central Park! Another man, I think a bit older in this case, had some pretty interesting one liners when it came to his correspondence with a young lady, as he asked to see her “bright eyes and bushy tail”… whatever that means!

All in all, yes, Aziz did linger on the topic of texting and dating. But who was he speaking to? We were all mainly college students in the audience! Isn’t texting and dating the two things that our lives are comprised of (though, for me, neither occupies any of my time)? The only thing I regret is getting out of my ROW C seat too early and having to witness his encore from one of the back rows, and not scouring the premises for a secret Aziz exit (I like autographs). I would say you should totally go and see his act, but… I don’t know when or where the next one is going to be! So if you want to see a bit of Aziz Ansari, I would recommend a little Parks and Recreation.

Aziz Ansari Stand Up
Colden Auditorium, Queens College
April 21, 2013

Marina B. Nebro

Posted: April 21st, 2013
Categories: Theatre
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.