The Wanted

Mar 25 2012

Besides the American Idol Live tour in the summer of 2008, prior to this I had never been to a real live concert with singers and Zander Bleckband instruments (as compared to an orchestra or symphonic band).  The main reason this was the first one was because The Wanted are the rival band of the current Brit Pop sensation “One Direction,” or so says my directioner sister.  Last minute tickets were on sale and they weren’t too pricey, so I agreed to go with my dear mother – a bit out of spite towards my sister (jokes), and a bit out of curiosity.

The opening acts were Zander Bleck and Outasight.  Being an inexperienced concert-goer, I did not realize that there would be opening acts (silly me!).  I must say, I think Zander Bleck was my favorite act of the night.  He had a slight ‘70s/’80s rock feel about him, with his tight jeans and long “moppy” hair.  His music had that sex to it that many fell for back in the day.  Outasight was my least favorite act of the night, as it consisted of a man (not very talented) jumping around and having his buddy mix some tunes on a laptop – obviously unoriginal tunes.  I think Outasight, following a classic act such as Zander Bleck, represents the lack of talent of the new and up and coming generation of artists.

The Wanted came on last, after a lengthy “intermission.”  I also didn’t know concerts had such large breaks!  They sang covers of songs by groups like Coldplay, but obviously didn’t leave without singing their hits: “All Time Low” and for an encore, “Glad You Came.”  The Wanted are also a British boy band, but with a more mature cast.  Tom, Max, Siva, Jay, and Nathan are the five boys who have stolen so many tween and teen hearts, and range from the age of eighteen to mid-twenties.

The WantedAfter the show, as for many, I waited endless minutes (over an hour!) to see The Wanted and attempt to get autographs for my mom’s students who are fans of The Wanted.  When they finally did come out, the girls converged and surrounded them, almost ATTACKING.  Let me say, these girls did NOT listen to the security people very well.  A girl even got trampled and hurt her leg (an ambulance came!).  So many girls professed their love for the boys, and were jumping up and down after receiving kisses from the gang.  I stood patiently across the street with my mom, waiting for the crowd to dwindle.  It never dwindled enough for the boys to get through, to our dismay.  They stayed for only FIVE MINUTES!  I personally was very offended by this as their fans were waiting for more than an hour for them (not that I was really one of them!)

Overall, it was an enjoyable first concert.  It was a LITTLE loud, and I used ear plugs, but I had a good time and found a new artist: Zander Bleck!

The Wanted
Paramount Theatre – Huntington
March 25, 2012

Marina B. Nebro

One response so far

1. Read all about the Aziz Ansari stand up comedy show here! I mentioned my concert experience 🙂

Marina B. Nebro