The Family

Some time has passed since I’ve gone to see a film that packs an emotional punch through violent but ironically comedic means. And what film has established such a reputation in my eyes? Why, the recently released The Family of course. The film was written and directed by Luc Besson and Michael Caleo of this year and according to IMDb, it has received a rating of 6.5/10 (although I would give it a 10).

Starring in this action-packed film are Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Glee’s Dianna Argon and Jon D’Leo, amongst other acclaimed crew, as the Manzoni family, an infamous and border-line psychotic mafia clan, who are sent to live in Normandy, France under a witness protection program.

The patriarch of the family, Fred Blake, has an unusual obsession with causing pain to those who cross him and was well known among the Mafia for getting the job done efficiently. Although violent, he is a genuinely warm man with creative aspirations and deeply loyal to his family. His wife, Maggie Blake, is known for making superb pasta and running a mean streak herself if criticized. The eldest daughter, Belle Blake, appears to embody the family at its purest form with her ideologies of love but can easily be provoked to beat anyone to a pulp who offends her. Lastly, the son, Warren Blake, is a genius in his own right who quickly gathers information on his surroundings and makes everything work to his advantage.

One aspect of the film I found to be rather interesting was Fred’s spontaneous decision to record his experiences on paper. As a self-proclaimed writer, an occupation he chooses as a disguise in order to fit in, its almost as if he is trying to create a sense of normalcy in his life and that of his family. It’s difficult not to sympathize with a man who has led such a violent existence and just wants to lead a calm life instead of always being on the run. Well, one feels that way until he nearly kills a random person for pissing him off.

All in all, I would highly recommend this film to any viewers interested in catching a few laughs while watching this intense but comedic family in action. I believe that its definitely worth the money and so much more enjoyable when you can see it with someone else. Just think, when you leave the theatre, all you’re going be thinking is “whoa, that was crazy!”

MV5BMjE2MzI0MzkyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ2MDM2OQ@@._V1_SX214_