Chris Arroyo

“Where’s that?” is often the response I hear when I tell people I live in Kips Bay. Hunter College’s Brookdale Residence is located in Kips Bay, on 25th Street, between 1st Avenue and the FDR Drive. Though it may not be one of the most desired living areas in Manhattan, it has a certain appeal that has lead me to identify with the neighborhood even though I’ve only lived here since the end of August.

Despite its reputation as “that area with all the hospitals,” Kips Bay feels like home to me. There may not be a great amount of attractions bunched into the area, but, in some ways, that’s part of the neighborhood’s appeal. There’s a generally relaxed atmosphere found in Kips Bay, but being in the city allows one to escape this very quickly. Much of the area is residential, but there are commercial zones, such as 23rd Street. In any case, my favorite feature of the neighborhood is its proximity to the East River. Along the river are a pathway and a small park, providing a wonderful escape from the stress of college life. Furthermore, it’s a great place to see various people from different walks of life using the area for their own personal escape as well.

545433_4550278318734_1817622863_n

This entry was posted in Who We Are. Bookmark the permalink.